Author Topic: SLOW COOKED GREEK LAMB  (Read 2696 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
SLOW COOKED GREEK LAMB
« on: January 25, 2018, 22:27:51 »
https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters/healthy-eating-toolkit/recipe-finder/slow-cooked-greek-lamb

well I suppose I may as well start the new year Diet with a recipe that was given me from the British Heart Foundation website trying to get us
folk with lumps of Dorset Apple cake stuck in our arteries an even chance to help ourselves by munching on a few dinners that are better for us........so here we go.

INGREDIENTS (FOR TWO PEOPLE)

300g (10oz) lean leg of lamb, all visible fat removed

2 onions, diced

½ tsp ground turmeric

½ tsp cumin seeds

225g (8oz) baby potatoes, halved

Juice of 1 small lemon

115g (4oz) small chestnut mushrooms

2 tsp olive oil

50ml (2fl oz) low-salt stock

1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan oven/gas mark 6. Cut the lamb into large, bite-sized pieces.

Put the lamb in a bowl with the onion, turmeric, cumin, potatoes, lemon, mushrooms, and olive oil, and season with black pepper. Stir everything together until coated in the oil and seasonings. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least one hour. If you prefer, you can do this stage the day before and leave in the fridge overnight.

Put a large sheet of foil in a small roasting tin and spoon in the lamb mixture. Bring up the sides of the foil to make a ‘bag’ and pour in the stock. Seal the foil bag tightly.

Put the lamb in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 160°C/140°C fan oven/gas mark 3. Cook for two hours or until the lamb is meltingly tender. Stir in the coriander. Serve with Toasted wholemeal pitta bread with shredded green salad or steamed spiralised Butternut squash and Courgette..........

BE CAREFUL WHEN OPENING THE FOIL PARCEL...HOT STEAM....BUT WONDERFUL SMELL.

Just over 2 hours found the meat nice and tender and juicy and the steaming veggies ready to munch on......if you want just heat some more Lamb Gravy/Stock to the finished meal.

Big bowl ready so dish it up....

Cheers British Heart Foundation,,,proper tasty winner here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: SLOW COOKED GREEK LAMB
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 22:34:10 »
Looks lovely and then  :idea1: ......

It cannot possible be Greek lamp unless it has Oregano in it  :tongue3:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 13:57:20 »

Cheers British Heart Foundation,,,proper tasty winner here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Not a winner for you and me though Gazza!  One small new potato is 15g of carbohydrate and I bet you had quite a few of those.  One pitta bread adds another 32 carbs.  Not a good meal for a low carb diet. 

If you limit the new potatoes to 4 (2 small ones each for you and Jude), get rid of the pitta breads and serve the meal with steamed brassicas, it will then be a much healthier option for you.  Carbs, as you know, cause high blood glucose levels in diabetics which can damage all the internal organs including the heart.

It does look lovely though but definitely needs tweaking to bring it down to low carb.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 14:49:17 »
I wonder whether this recipe would work with cauliflower chunks instead of the potatoes?  It looks great.  Nice photos, thanks Gazza!

Have just looked up a Greek lamb recipe this reminded me of - lamb stifado.  Served with other veggies (and a carbohydrate like rice or potatoes for those who have no issues) would make a nice dinner too.  I would substitute the sugar with stevia or leave it out.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/lamb-stifado.html
:wave:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 16:14:05 »
Good feedback ladies and yes,you must remember Jude and mysef are NOT on a no carb diet like yourselves more a good eating plan to allow us
to eat healthy cuts of meat with vegetables of "our" choosing ....well more me I guess as Jude sits and devours it as ever I just try and copy/create
dinners that are provided by recognised groups,such as the British Heart Foundation I don't think they are creating LOW CARB meals more user friendly that families can enjoy but with heart friendly ingredients...lets face it they wouldn't print a meal plan for folks that does not benefit the recipients now would they.... ...you are both on more restrictive foods....and fair play to you for trying it....as long as I can cook tasty food that we both enjoy and that I can then sneak off 2 hours post meal and can test myself and the outcome is lower because of the better ingredients then ill carry on.....ok its more a slower way to lose the fat on the meal table but if im doing 2 hours exercise a day to stimulate my metabolism then it needs feeding well after wards.... so if that means 1/3rd Wholewheat rice with 2/3rds cauli flower rice with a low cal chicken or 1/3rd wholewheat pasta with 2/3rds spiralised butternut squash with low fat mince for spag bowl or white fish steamed with carrot fries...

so plenty of change just more balanced than your xtreme approach ...my 1 stone loss recently has been healthy and enjoyable as I still enjoy eating mixtures of med carbs as well as low carbs so each meal becomes easier to tolerate rather than just STOP everything.....

and no Pauline......if im having wholewheat pitta breads to dip in my gravy then that wont change....lifes to short to torture yourself.

im hoping the Tom Kerridge series will persuade us to a more restrictive "but tasty" answer to our evening meals.....

ooooops theres my fluffy tail poking out again....must get back to my bowl of salad leaves (with no dressing)

GazNjude x

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 16:29:31 »
Hi Ya, I am going to give it a go, I am watching Tom and he has some tasty dinners. I have been sat on my backside most of the winter and boy do I feel it. I hope Tom does a book of his recipes. Trouble is I love food and beer so will try. My OH does not go for to much that's different but hopefully I can change the way she looks at the food. Nice one Gazza inspirational :icon_cheers:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 15:08:39 »
Good feedback ladies and yes,you must remember Jude and mysef are NOT on a no carb diet like yourselves .......

..must get back to my bowl of salad leaves (with no dressing)

I don't think anyone could exist for long on a NO CARB DIET as carbs are in almost every food that we eat! 

I am on a LOW carb diet for my diabetes and I try to limit my carb intake by not eating starchy foods such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and other root vegetables as they raise blood sugar levels by a huge amount for anyone who is diabetic.  I am sure they caused my diabetes in the first place yet I followed the "Eat Well" plate that was put together for the NHS and influenced by the food industry.  See this excerpt from the British Medical Journal:

https://www.univadis.co.uk/viewarticle/dietary-guidelines-need-complete-overhaul-407310?s1=news

You mentioned in the messages that you sent me in the last few weeks that you were going to try a low carb diet.  This was the reason why I mentioned the carbs in your recipe.  I am sorry if this upset you, I meant well.  :sad10:

I wouldn't fancy a bowl of salad leaves with no dressing.  What sort of diet are you on?  Is that what the Heart Foundation recommends?  My meals are far more interesting and tastier than that!   My salads, when I have them (not very often during the winter), have a little spinach or lettuce to which I add some of these......  red onion, cucumber, peppers, tomato, celery, humus, coleslaw and mayonnaise.  I have the salad with steak or trout.     

I wish you success with whatever diet you and Jude are now on.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 15:25:58 »
Far from it Pauline,your far to nice a person with all the help you have offered for me ever to get upset,low carb in my eyes can be spread over 3 square meals a day....I read the other day that some folk do not have breakfast ....so this equals no carbs at all...and is recognised as and accepted
as a way to lose weight.....it is called a fasting meal ..you can then have a small piece of fruit to sustain you lunchtime providing you know what will keep your BS in the right bracket .....and so we go to our evening meal.....some folk by design have all their carb allowance in one meal.....so if you look at the Greek Lamb the potatoes can be classed as your carb values......its very tricky to prepare meals with an even spread of carbs but remember my recipes are not solely aimed at us.......so eg,,,,if you or I need to replace the tatters with a lower carb alternative where you say the meal is not a winner then I don't think we need to comment as such,rather accept that you and I will use other lower carb veggies.....

no we are not on a fixed diet like you we prefer to mix and match our carb intake but still enjoy a percentage of something naughty added to new
vegetable alternatives to bulk the meal out............

anyway good luck to you on your continued success,,...and as having lost 1 stone doing what im doing including plenty of exercise I/we will carry on trying to cook clever  !!!!!!!!!!!     ....thank goodness for Tom and the like of him I say ..............

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal