Author Topic: If you can't get to the lottie...?  (Read 5419 times)

Pescador

• Hectare
If you can't get to the lottie...?
« on: January 24, 2018, 16:11:18 »
What do you do when it's too cold/wet/windy to get to, or onto the lottie?
Over the last few days I've made some new (to me) jams.
Raspberry and Rosewater, flavour combination suggested by Tom Kerridge,
Blackcurrant,
Strawberry and Chilli.
They're all using fruit from last years amazing harvest that has been sitting in the freezer.
If I don't keep busy I get Cabin Fever, and that's not good!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: If you can't get to the lottie...?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 16:51:38 »
I've been sewing.  Possum, studying PR at Namur, is doing an internship in Brussels form Feb to May and needs proper clothes, not student clobber so, since she is not a reet petite French girlie we found nothig suitable when she was here at Xmas so I've had to make her some blouses, trousers, jackets.....  Just one jacket and trousers to go before handover on Saturday.

I've been wanting to make blood orange and chilli marmalade but there have been no red chillies on sale since before Xmas and we'e eaten all ours.  Finally found some Scoth Bonnets in an Asian shop today but suspect they're a bit too volcanic.   We'll see.

Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 17:09:04 »
Yes it is cabin fever time here but I have been stupid busy at work so I haven't noticed it that much.
Spending evenings by the fire with an e-book or a seed catalogue and a beer or two.

Still Chillis will go on this week and my wife has just got her own plot so I will be down there helping her clear it as long as it isn't waterlogged.  It is only a lovely site - they even have a little tractor and offer to plough your plot for you.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 17:40:57 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfONJYIyGM
Try this for a musical cure for Cabin Fever, from my favourite musician Jimmy Buffet.
Every pickle helps!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 21:39:48 »
Did the marmalade a couple of weeks back.

I've read the seed catalogues back to front.

For a few days I was distracted by computer problems. The latest updates for Windows 10 were designed to address security issues with "meltdown" and "spectre" viruses. Instead (due to technical issues) it effectively broke older PCs using early amd chips. My PC has an Asus motherboard so I had to flash the BIOS, and replaced the CPU with a 4 core AMD phenom. This CPU was very expensive a few years ago when first issued but now sells for about £20 on eBay. Added some extra ram while the case was opened and installed a couple of new fans. All fixed and running stable (and a bit faster due to the upgrades).

It kept me occupied, but now I'm definitely getting frustrated. Hoping for a couple of dry days soon.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 00:08:33 »
Ha!  I have a more recent PC which came with Windows 10 and the latest update lost me Outlook and Google Chrome.  OH had to restore me to Jan 4th status and still had to wake up Google Chrome.   If and when this PC dies I shall become a Microsoft free zone.   Fed up with Windows 10 and Microsoft's lack of customer care.
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:42 »
I have been organising my audio books and identifying gaps and then looking for them free on you tube and ripping a copy of the audio :) in preperation for a few hours in greenhouse

Have been sewing as well :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 04:37:58 »
I have been studying astronomy with future learn.  Also I am having my summer holiday in Egypt and the weather has been perfect only one cloudy day.  I have read several books.   And eating fresh courgettes and strawberries. 

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 07:50:35 »
I have had winter projects for the last few years in an attempt to keep the little grey cells moving. They involve researching and then writing a potted history which sits on my website. Last winter it was a local history. This time it is a potted history of football in England (betrays signs of a misspent youth!). Version 1.0 is almost ready and will go on the website by the end of the month.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:48:12 »
I have just downloaded the Sheffield allotment history thanks BAK

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:19:26 »
Fed up with Windows 10 and Microsoft's lack of customer care.

Exactly.

In many ways Windows 10 is a very good product. But (1) they constantly roll out updates and revisions before they are fully tested and (2) they try to force their preferred software ahead of your personal preferences. I want my choice of browser, email and media player and do not want my machine suddenly deciding I should be running Bing or Groove music instead.

PS What a brilliant and talented lot you all are!!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:25 »
Agree about Windows 10 but deeply resent all the poorly tested releases especially when it kills their own products.  One update stopped my ability to send mails from Outlook - their own software - and no help, advice or apologies form Microsoft.  Had to resort to the "community" for a fix.  I'm also happy with Outlook and Chrome and don't want to re-invent a perfectly acceptable wheel.

Wet, wet, wet here so more sewing today then a few days in Paris with Possum and then sOwing and weeding and planting and making new raised beds with any luck.
Obxx - Vendée France

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 16:50:24 »
Aran sweaters have apparently suddenly become fashionable - currently four requests from teenage grandchildren so knitting and looking out at the latest band of pouring rain rain sweeping across Cornwall.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 00:02:42 »
While files download and move on the server (reorganising my audio books) have been doing some other bits and peices.

Currently looking at some plants to get and what stuff i need to get the garden opened up again and finish off the jobs from last year.

Just ordered gravel to put at the bottom of the 6 planters i need to get finished very cheap from travis perkins (£2.20 a bag of 10mm with free delivery with my account).
Will order the climbing rose for one in a few weeks (clare austin) this will go up the back shady side of the garage.
Will order the plants for some of the planters and the garden tomorrow once i have shopped around for prices currently got in basket on parkers
- 25 freesia singles mixed
- pack of 4 hostas (fragrant)
- pack of 3 cannas
- pack of 5 trailing begonia odorata super senter mixed
- pack of 6 phlox paniculata mixed
Wednesday i am in cambridge so will be collecting from wicks there general compost for topping up and bulking out and some Jacks Magic Traditional Compost to use in greenhouse to save delivery.
ahead of Next friday will place order for husband to collect on way home to get the bark chips again to save delivery
Week after gardener is in to clean out the greenhouse with Jeyes fluid and then i can think about what to do next :)
And i need to drill holes in my potato planters get these positioned and drill holes into the bottom of some tomato pots to echo the tube method for this year. Was thinking about cutting the bottoms off but think holes will be enough :)

cant wait to get into garden :)

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 17:55:49 »
With a dusting of snow all over this morning I didn't fancy too much time outside!
So a quick trip to Tesco to buy a tray-full of mangos at half price, and then back home to make some Hot Mango Chutney!
Every pickle helps!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 18:31:36 »
I have been decorating but all done now so from now in its sowing seeds,  chitting seed potatoes and lightly digging over the allotment  weather permitting 
Barnsley S Yorks

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 21:36:44 »
Looks great.  I made mango chutney too and some more blood orange and chili.   OH seems to think it's a vegetable dish, not a relish!
Obxx - Vendée France

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 13:51:52 »
That hot mango chutney looks great.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 14:30:47 »
I'm still looking for a good mango chutney recipe.  This time I've tried Jamie Oliver's but haven't tasted it yet as it's "maturing" I hope.

Care to share your hot mango recipe?
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal