Author Topic: University research - allotments  (Read 2331 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
University research - allotments
« on: January 23, 2018, 14:08:16 »
The university of Sheffield is running a survey into the use and sustainability of allotments.  They are inviting allotment growers to take part and record their activities every time they go to the allotment.  They offer a free diary in which to record all the data.  They want to know how often you visit, what you grow, how you care for your crops etc.

For more information, please email mcdobson1@sheffield.ac.uk   

I can't post a pic but you can see their poster here:-

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/calling-all-allotment-growers/1009424.html

Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: University research - allotments
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 14:27:42 »
We talked about sustainability of allotments recently, when the argument was made by an expert that the ecological footprint of allotments is terrible.  No large-scale economies and all that toing and froing to the plot.  And not a word about health and other benefits.  I remember that we disagreed vigorously and with good reason.

Who is doing this survey, on whose behalf and to what end?  They are asking for quite a commitment in the first place, but how will the result be interpreted?  What if it turns out that it is more 'sustainable' to go to Sainsburys?  By whatever reckoning! 

Allotments are under threat and there is a large demand for new houses.  Call me a cynic if you like, but if there is even a slight chance that the result could be spun against keeping and providing allotments in the future, it would be tragic if gardeners had helped achieve that. 

Maybe we should ask and know more before participating in good faith.   :wave:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 14:30:41 by galina »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 16:30:40 »
I did say in the first sentence that its the university of Sheffield who are know for having wildlife and biodiversity high on their agenda.   I also gave you an email address to contact for more info.

I'd have thought allotments were exceedingly good for the environment and biodiversity as long as chemical use is restricted and certainly good for mental and physical well being.  Maybe this research will back that up and help formulate government policy in future.

Stop being so cynical and remember the optimistic side of your gardening personality.  Isn't everything allotmenteers do done in hope of good results? 
Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:15:50 »
https://myharvest.org.uk/

More info on this research project.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:43:25 »
I have sent an email in it looks interesting.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:28:13 »
Good.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal