Author Topic: We're off!  (Read 10776 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: We're off!
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 11:43:00 »
Looking well Johnny my lot is still in the seed packet and will be for at least another couple of weeks!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 12:02:59 »
Having not been able to get to the greenhouse for a week due to ill health and snow found my sweetpeas have started to germinate no sign of anything else as yet. Hoping to check again this afternoon and husband is going to put the hooks onto the ceiling of the greenhouse for my baskets. Planning these to be strawberries with beans of some sort apparantly this helps fix nitrogion. One basket will be filled with tomatos with basil on top and the 3rd basket is going to also be strawberries but maybe with some freesias on top. Sowing chillis this week i hope.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 19:46:44 »
think i overdone the lettuce lol :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
  • Portsmouth, the sunny south coast
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 19:35:31 »

Yay! My Raam chilli seeds have come up, they are the milder of the two new packs I bought!

:blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
Has a 5 rod plot in Portsmouth.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 06:09:09 »
Not put anything in yet- the temptation is easy to resist as I'm still in the Middle East and moving back permanently to the UK next weekend after 18 years away (yay!). 

In January, I managed to get a quarter plot in the UK which I weeded, put compost on and covered over with membrane in the freezing weather at the end of February, the soil was not frozen- just very cold.  I have a ton of seeds waiting, potatoes chitting away, onion sets, shallot sets and garlic ready to go in when i return (straight away for the garlic, will hold back until Easter for the onions, shallots and spuds).  I'm going to be busy!

As to the plot here, the perpetual spinach, turnips, herbs and tomatoes did great in the past few months.  I managed to overcome the extremely sandy soil by dosing up with Agroleaf soluble fertilizer on a regular basis which was pretty much all I had on hand.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2018, 09:36:51 »
yesterday was a cracking day here on the sunshine coast 16 at the allotment today we have snow and a -5 wind chill . so it was fine enough yesterday to put my bean trench in  either side of the troughs have had copious  amounts  of manure green waste put in over the last 5 months so it was time to finish it the middle trench has a layer of cardboard layer of well rotted pigeon poo a layer of leaf mould then the troughs put on top ill let it settle for a month or so then put the canes up

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
  • Portsmouth, the sunny south coast
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2018, 11:31:00 »

Wow, the soil looks lovely! Good work!

My plot is not looking anything like that :( even though I am on the sunny south coast! ;)

Has a 5 rod plot in Portsmouth.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 18:14:35 »

Wow, the soil looks lovely! Good work!

My plot is not looking anything like that :( even though I am on the sunny south coast! ;)

thanks lou i try to take great care of the soil as its very sandy  so every year its as much humus as i can get my hands on around 4 tonne a year is layered on top as well as compost and leaf mould depending  on what im going to plant where the next season i truly believe if you look after the soil the crops look after themselves im sure your get there with your plot after time good luck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal