Author Topic: We're off!  (Read 10785 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: We're off!
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 12:26:02 »
Thank you for the suggestion Vinlander but unable to access back of my fridge.  Will have to try to buy a propagator.  Do you think my original 'cooked' seeds are viane or should I start again?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 12:41:03 »
Wherever you put your seeds, this time of year is very dangerous because sunshine is starting to be hotter than you expect  (or notice) and seeds in a propagator can be cooked to death in a few hours.

I strongly recommend you chit without direct sun, and plant the chits before moving into a bright environment without direct sun. Soon afterwards direct sun in a warm well ventilated place (like a windowsill) should be no problem - but only after they have adjusted to the drier air.

Obviously artificial light is no problem.

Here in NW Europe we rely on the Gulf Stream for our winter warmth, but everywhere else with a similar climate people are more aware of the dangers of direct sunshine -  their seeds can overcook in this way all year round, so they are less likely to be caught out.

Cheers.

PS. The warm air from your fridge or freezer has to go somewhere - you just have to find it. If the device is not well-ventilated then the air coming off it will be even hotter because it will have to work much harder (and you are paying for the extra electricity).  Obviously if you've put your fridge in an old fireplace (with a working chimney) then none of this applies.

That makes me think - why aren't fridges and freezers properly integrated into air conditioning systems? Maybe they are? I don't know because I rely on fans in summer. Ceiling fans are just brilliant - so much less intrusive - essential in bedrooms.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
  • Portsmouth, the sunny south coast
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 19:06:22 »

"but thanks to poster here I am giving Trinidad Perfume a go "

Oooh, yes, so am I! I actually tried them last year, but didn't have a propagator so trying again this year!

I thought they sounded interesting as they have the flavour withour the heat.

I am also trying Hot Thai, as my family like hot chilli, so those will be for them - hoping I don't mix them up...

Well that was Feb 9th, and they were planted a few days prior to that, and quick as a flash they both have totally failed to put in an appearance.

So annoyed! It could be that I didn't put gravel in the bottom of the tray of the propogator, or the compost wasn't right (multi purpose one by Gro Sure) or perhaps my new toy isn't working properly?

Going to try with the tomato seeds this weekend, and buy some more chilli seeds to try later.

Has a 5 rod plot in Portsmouth.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 21:42:10 »
second wave of chilli all up will take them out of propagator sunday and the start  sweet peppers  bell and bullshorn  will start around 48 seeds 24 of each they should be up in 10 days then will start tomatoes  then dahlia's off to portugal easter so will sow rest when i get back unheated propagators in greenhouse so i can get the rest of the 200 tomato plants up ready for summer
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 12:09:40 »
Well that was Feb 9th, and they were planted a few days prior to that, and quick as a flash they both have totally failed to put in an appearance.

I have moved to chitting from Jan-now. Peppers, aubergines and the like - I find it much more reliable for anything tender  - only bruisers like tomatoes are worth sowing direct into cells.

I chit on weak napkin paper in a readymeal box that has been set up, watered and microwaved for 1 min & left for 5 min before the seeds go in. I then put the box in a propagator until the roots appear (reliably >80%), then move the box to a much lighter, slightly less warm place until the seed leaves appear. I then trash the paper to get the plantlets out with as much root as possible (I end up with >60% of the original seeds).

Then they go into in microwaved compost (20 minutes for 6L) in the narrowest 6cm+ tall pots I can find (or make - or use rootrainers if you have a trust fund). Ideally set out on permeable landscape fabric over a capillary shelf inside a large tray with an old propagator base under it and very good light or lights (avoiding direct sunlight). Some will fail to thrive, but >50% of the original seeds end up in containers or soil... The strongest growers that became top-heavy in March/April  go into normal 10-15cm pots for a better start, but all seedlings get planted out in May. A few go into ornamental pots in my back garden, the rest go into the polytunnel.

I put most of my tomatoes into open ground - tomatoes and normal "furry" aubergines are very bad neighbours and should never be under the same cover.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:14:14 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 11:02:30 »
 :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: I just wrote a 30-odd word sentence about a complex capillary set-up without  any punctuation, and I managed to leave out heated propagator.

Sorry.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 15:59:56 »
Bl***y failure with tommy chitting since losing airing cupboard AND the darned condensate pipinfroze!!! Beginning to wish I hadn't changed boiler.  Oh well back to drawing board and start again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 07:38:41 »
First batch of chillis doing well.
Just sowed Red Alert and Sub Arctic Plenty - never tried the later but Red Alert are always good for an early crop.
Not long now and we will be in the thick of it.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 11:25:52 »
Aadvise  please  ive started some chillies in a propagator  ive done five lines of different varieties down a seed tray , some is up b4 the others and I would like to take those of the heat . can I pot those on  with only the two seed leaves showing

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 11:50:38 »
You do not say how long it is since you sowed them,some varieties take longer than others to germinate so what you are experiencing is not unusual.

I think "patience" is order of the day and just wait till you see signs of the growing tip (true leaves) before taking them off the heat source.

One thing you can do meantime is ensure the seedlings do not dry out, but do not over water, misting them daily with clean water should suffice ( use a hand or pump spray)

Moving the tray ( if practical) to where it can get the best light on your heat source would be an advantage and this will help to keep the seedlings from getting leggy!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 16:56:52 »
First batch of chillis doing well.
Just sowed Red Alert and Sub Arctic Plenty - never tried the later but Red Alert are always good for an early crop.
Not long now and we will be in the thick of it.
they look great mate must pot mine on this week and maybe put them into a cold greenhouse under bubble wrap so ive more room

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 17:18:57 »
Aadvise  please  ive started some chillies in a propagator  ive done five lines of different varieties down a seed tray , some is up b4 the others and I would like to take those of the heat . can I pot those on  with only the two seed leaves showing

If you are really gentle then yes you can.  I scoop them out with as much compost as i can (use a teaspoon) - they can go a bit wobbly for a few hours but they should be ok..

[they look great mate must pot mine on this week and maybe put them into a cold greenhouse under bubble wrap so ive more room

Cheers!  I love getting the early chillis off to a good start - sets the tone for the sesason!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 12:43:31 »

Ok, take two.

I have bought some proper seed compost, and two more packs of chilli seeds (Raam and Barak) and retrieved four each of the Thai Hot and Trinidad Perfume, which I thought I might as well give one last chance!

Have put damp sand in the bottom of the propagator, put the tray in, and filled a spare cell with compost to put the thermostat in!

It's your last chance seeds! Do it, or I am moving on to my tomatoes!

(I decided to try this, if it doesn't work I will try the chitting method!)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 13:01:44 »
filled a spare cell with compost to put the thermostat in

I'm curious???? Do you mean Thermometer or Thermostat ?

For example:  similar to the thermometer in this picture?

Either way my fingers are crossed for you....Best of Luck

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 13:25:56 »

The propagator has a sensor on a wire attached to the thing that turns the heat on and off!

I have it set to 24 degrees, so it should keep it at that temperature.

Its new, I treated myself, and I am not sure how well it is working!

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 13:30:55 »

I did buy a cheap thermometer, something that looks a bit like your one, only the temp never seemed to go much above 20. Even so, that should be warm enough, shouldn't it!

I will put it back in.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 16:14:00 »
The propagator has a sensor on a wire attached to the thing that turns the heat on and off!

I have it set to 24 degrees, so it should keep it at that temperature.

Its new, I treated myself, and I am not sure how well it is working!

I did buy a cheap thermometer, something that looks a bit like your one, only the temp never seemed to go much above 20. Even so, that should be warm enough, shouldn't it!

I will put it back in.

So you have both!

I have it set to 24 degrees, so it should keep it at that temperature......only the temp never seemed to go much above 20

This is fairly normal .....most mass produced thermometers /thermostats are accurate to around +/- 3° unless you go into buying one that is accurate to + / - 1° but these cost a lot more.

I have four thermometers and I can sit them all in the same location and no two give the same reading.

The setting you have set should be OK for tomatoes, peppers etc but a bit high for brassicas for example.

It looks that you have a 4° discrepancy between your thermometer and thermostat so when you get to sowing your veg drop your thermostat down from 24° to around 20° and this should be sufficient, plus it will be cheaper to run.

I hope this helps

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 18:15:49 »
Thanks Tee Gee,

Yes, it is funny though the cheap thermometer is registering about 24 now, so perhaps it is ok after all. I wonder if adding the sand to the bottom has helped with the temperature somehow.

I was going to turn it down a bit for the toms, and probably wont need it for the brassicas as they seem to be so willing to spring up at the drop of a hat!

I might use it for the peas and beans later though, to give them a kick start.

It is fun experimenting, isn't it!

Thanks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 18:51:01 »
I wonder if adding the sand to the bottom has helped with the temperature somehow.

I would say yes particularly if you know the composition of the propagator.

Depending upon the size of the propagator its base has a number of copper strips molded into the plastic meaning the base directly above a strip gets the warmest ( hot spots) with the gap in between slightly cooler the damp sand helps to spread / equalise the temperature over the base of the propagator.

An alternative to sand is to use capillary matting as a heat spreader.

The same principle operates if using a soil cable in a hotbed.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:44 »
weather has been very unseasonal this month here on the sunshine coast things are starting to wake up in the cold greenhouse. cauli barcelona are doing well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal