Author Topic: how many potato tubers in a pot  (Read 1817 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
how many potato tubers in a pot
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:36:17 »
Hi All,

I think i know the answer just looking for some sanity :)

I have been given 10 buckets from someone in the village these were used to transport non toxic bagged chemicals to a small business in the area. The Buckets are over 2 ft light and about 1.5ft wide. I am going to drill some holes in side and one in bottom (and put lid on bottom) and plant these up with potatoes. The question is how many tubers?

I am of a view 3 is plenty for smaller variaties like new potatoes and maybe one or two for the larger types like maris piper.

Have 2 other pots which are 3ft high and about the same width which i feel can maybe be better for larger baking type spud maybe 2 of 4 tubers again.

Am heading to potato day in feb with Harriet to pick out what we want to grow hence my question potatoes are 17p each and want to try a few variaties. Have underlined the ones we definatly want to get but also need some recomdendations. As am in a potato growing part of the world i can get Maris Piper, Picasso quite easily so after slightly more unusual things. *not intrested in blue potatoes through :)

First Early:
Arran Pilot, Casablanca, Colleen, Duke of York, Dunluce, Epicure, Foremost, Home Guard, Lady Cristl, Maris Bard, Orla, Pentland Javelin, Premiere, Red Duke of York, Rocket, Sharpes Express, Swift, Ulster Prince, Ulster Sceptre, Winston.
Second Early:

Anya, Bonnie, British Queen, Carlingford, Charlotte, Estima, Gemson, Innovator, Kestrel, Marfona, Maris Peer, Nadine, Nicola, Osprey, Saxon, Shetland Black, Vivaldi, Wilja, Yukon Gold.

Early Maincrop:

Ambo, Amour, Apache, Bambino, Blue Belle, Carolus, Desiree, Highland Burgundy Red, International Kidney, Isle of Jura, Jazzy, King Edward, Lady Balfour, Linda, Majestic, Manitou, Maris Piper, Markies, Maxine, Mayan Gold, Mayan Twilight, Mozart, Pentland Dell, Picasso, Pink Gypsy, Ratte, Record, Red Emmalie, Red King Edward, Robinta, Rooster, Salad Blue, Sarpo Blue Danube, Sarpo Kifli, Setanta, Stemster, Violetta.

Late Maincrop:

Arrran Victory, Cara, Golden Wonder, Kerr's Pink, Pink Fir Apple, Sarpo Axona, Sarpo Mira, Valor.

Cam

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: how many potato tubers in a pot
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 13:34:25 »
Sarpo Kifli, good and very blight resistant,  a waxy, long storing salad variety and also good for boiling.  And Carolus which is also very blight resistant, but floury and good for boiling, mashing and roast spuds would be my recommendations to add to your list.   :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 18:03:17 »
We love Kestrel.
I only use tubs for earlies and mine are smaller tubs so I only put one in.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 20:25:28 »
thanks all making up my lists

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:45:47 »
I'd add support for Kestrel - reliable, tasty and great all round potato.  On your list I would always recommend charlottes which are the classic waxy salad potato, can be used as new potatoes too and always give me a lovely yield.  If you can find them, Inca Bella make the most amazing roast potatoes too.  I will probably be growing Lady Cristl as my first earlies as I went with Rocket last year which cropped nice and early, but I found them a bit flavourless and prone to falling apart when cooking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal