Author Topic: Celariac - What's the secret?  (Read 3204 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Celariac - What's the secret?
« on: January 06, 2018, 17:19:50 »
I just can't get the darn things to bulk up.  Plenty of top growth but nothing downstairs.
I am on heavy London clay but I have added tons of organic stuff over the years but whatever I do I get tiny returns.
Is there a good variety to try or does anyone have any tips - water and plenty of feed seems to what folks say but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Celariac - What's the secret?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 18:56:55 »
I grow mine in shallow trenches, it helps retain the water a bit better, which they need plenty of. Mine bulk up between October to December, they need plenty of time to fatten up!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 19:47:14 »
Four steps to celeriac success. :icon_cheers:

1. Don't grow Prague Giant or Prinz instead grow Monarch. (I'm also trying Llona F1 from DT brown this year.) P.G and Prinz give the very small roots you describe.

2. Sow early - second or third week of February is ideal. Celeriac needs a long season of growth.

3. Give each plant plenty of space 14-18 inches apart. Celeriac roots are fibrous  and extend sideways quite a bit. Cover with fleece for a while after planting until established and the weather is reliably warm.

4. In September the outside leaves will bend to the horizontal. Remove all that do this by giving a quick sideways yank. This helps swell the roots.

Begin harvesting late October but lift them all before hard frosts strike.

I too had no celeriac luck (using prague giant) until I began following these steps. This years crop was excellent with each root perhaps up to 5 inches in diameter. :happy7:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 19:50:26 »
Its not a secret (now!) but I planted mine out as a square at 15" centres, on 2" of rotted compost/manure,, earthed them up gently, kept moist through July-August and ended up with 18 'footballs' and two 'triffids'. Base soil is London Clay too.
Photo attached taken 17/08/17
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 20:06:47 »
OK!  Sounds promising.  Ill give them another go this year - I think I havent been giving them enough space and probably not enough time. Cheers everyone!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 20:56:22 »
Good to get advice as I'm going to have another go this year too. As I mentioned in another post, my problem was slug/snail/woodlice damage so maybe a plastic bottle collar for the first few months might help. Worth a try!

Tricia :wave:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 22:47:02 »
 I can heartily recommend Asterix F1 as one of the most productive and reliable varieties. (I buy mine from Kings although they may be sold by all the usual suspects)
Not mad, just out to mulch!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 00:05:47 »
My tip is don't ever let them get dry.  A good amount of organic matter and judicious watering in the summer is essential.  I also wouldn't judge them on the size of ones you get in the shops.  Most home grown celeriacs are more like cricket balls than footballs!

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:56:38 »
Another vote for asterix.

organic material and constant watering are key.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:58:10 »
Well now I am eager to crack on and give them another go.  Asterix added to the shopping list!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 18:04:14 »
I've been growing Monarch at 12" centres, with watering, fertliser and leaf pulling. Tennis ball /cricket ball size is the best I get. I won't grow them again as just too much bother and space for too long to be worthwhile.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:50:46 »
Opinion seems divided on how big you can expect to your celeriac to grow, and how to get the best crop.
One issue not yet mentioned - they want a good long growing season. Start them early in a propagator, and don't rush to get them set out too early either.
This was one of mine this season. This one was above average, but not the biggest.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

early weeder

• Not So New ...
  • We are in windy Midlothian in a frost pocket!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 22:05:19 »
Very helpful. I'm hoping to grow Celariac for the first time this year. I had put Prinz on my seed order but now removed it and going to get some Asterix from Kings. I have done pretty well with celery so hoping I can keep the celariac watered well enough too for a good crop.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 22:06:23 »
Perfect timing - I was just  thinking "must ask about celeriac!".

This year is the first time I've got bulbs, having started them in a propagator (the airing cupboard, it seems, cutteth not the mustard). Somewhere under the soil and roots when I lift them is a bulb which, I think, is about tennis ball size. Mind you, until I find the seed box I don't know which variety they are, and they are definitely closer than 18".

Right... this year...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 14:51:40 »
I ailed dismally last year (first go at celeriac). But have been tol to start in propagator or under glass any time now. Sow on the surface of the medium and don't cover as they need lots of light to get going. I cannot ossibly do any worse than last year. Not one seed through. :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal