Author Topic: Another year begins  (Read 1982 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Another year begins
« on: January 08, 2018, 15:24:39 »
I have made a start to 2018....paid my allotment rent this morning all £12.69p of it.

Ordered 18 Auricula plants from Parkers plus 6 Phlox paniculata plants ( two of my favourite types of flowers) both on special offer!

Thinking of making a start in the greenhouse possibly next week.

I have provisionally planned to sow;

Auricula Alpine mixed
Pelargonium (Geranium) Paintbox
Dutch Iris (own seeds)
Russel Lupins
Onion - Brunswick, Exhibition, Red Baron and Red Florence.
Sweet Peas - Perfume Delight

Plus I will possibly put my Chrysant stools on the hotbed to produce new basal growth from which I will take cuttings.

Usually I wait until my Snowdrops have appeared before I start sowing but strangely they have not appeared yet, ???? plus my spring bulbs do not seem to be as far forward as they usually are at this time of year.

Maybe this cold frosty snap might push them on a bit!

How are the spring bulbs in your gardens doing are yours a bit behind normal or is my location here in the wild and woolly north that is affecting mine?

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
Re: Another year begins
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 15:45:06 »
We have a few spring bulbs coming up in the High Peak at 670ft altitude in pots placed against a North facing wall (don't know the type as this is in a mixed planting and this is also according to reports from home- I am 4000 miles away at the moment!). 

The wood anemones in nearby beds were doing well and about 4" high when I left about a week ago.

Growing bulbs in the UK for the first time, so I don't know what "normal" is...

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 16:33:30 »
Goodness, you’re lucky!  I paid my allotment rent yesterday....three hundred and forty pounds! For 120 square meters, a lovely little shed, a mini lawn and a small herbaceous bed.  Worth every krone ....I’m in Denmark and things are expensive here!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 20:15:23 »
Goodness, you’re lucky!  I paid my allotment rent yesterday....three hundred and forty pounds! For 120 square meters, a lovely little shed, a mini lawn and a small herbaceous bed.  Worth every krone ....I’m in Denmark and things are expensive here!
It ought to be freehold at that price! How much is accomodation (grazing) land per hectare? Do all the prices relate (Courgettes £3 each)?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 14:04:31 »
yes its started another couple of weeks ill be eating the first rhubarb of the year
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 15:46:43 »
Rain in Cornwall finally stopped for five minutes today so spent the afternoon scraping a mixture of moss, shepherds purse and a curious and rather sinister looking ground covering lichen off one of my flower beds. The grass is now moss with a few blades sticking through - all probably have to be taken off and resown. Haven't been able to touch the mudbath that is supposed to grow veg since the end of last season - and it is at the top of a sloping plot!

ps it is now raining again

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:46 »
Blimey that is cheap tg.  Expecting my around the £90 mark.  Though that is for about 320 sq mt. 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 13:17:45 »
£60 for 3 plots here on the sunshine coast around 7200 sq ft excluding paths
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 19:41:53 »
I paid £60 for 80 sq metres in September here in Poole

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 20:36:02 »
Weather in Littleport still quite bitter and the temp thing in greenhouse has died so today picked up a replacement (cheap one from wilko) and bought 2 dalias.

Have started to get things lined up for the next growing season, Growing beds still quite full but in some cases the crops have gone over and just needs to be scrapped. I have beetroot to harvest, fenel going strong and elephant garlic romping away. Will be tidying up the greenhouse this weekend aheading of sorting seeds etc for planting. Waiting for delivery of more bark chips and soil to top up beds and planters which i hope will be next week. If i can have a dry few days when its no so bitterly cold still need to finish painting fence and trellis when the plants overtook me last year am aiming for week commencing 5th feb for this and trying to book the gardener to give me a hand :) Greenhouse still needs to be washed with Jeyes fluid as the temp plumeted i have not been able to get the gardener over to do it :(  Have some strawberry plants i also want to move into hanging baskets in greenhouse for an earlier crop.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal