Author Topic: Greenhouse leaking  (Read 6739 times)

Jane0O0

Greenhouse leaking
« on: January 04, 2018, 20:13:02 »
I've recently received a metal greenhouse but due to the rain we've had here in Newcastle I've noticed its leaking in the corner as the pics show. Does anyone have any ideas how I can prevent this continuing please.

BTW I'm brand new to gardening so this will be my first year with a greenhouse and growing tomatoes hopefully.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Re: Greenhouse leaking
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 22:20:02 »
Did you forget the pics?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:10:27 »
Welcome to A4A Jane.  I can't see the photos either, although there is an attachment symbol next to the header of your message.

Just wanted to say that with greenhouses the quality varies widely.  Good ones should not leak as they are more of conservatory quality, but cheapies, especially second hand ones that were taken down and reassembled again, can leak a little in bad rain.  Mine have a drip leak from the roof vents, where water seeps in, but it is only drips in bad rain.  If the greenhouse structure is basically sound (metal not bent) and sits level on a good base, then check the panes and glazing clips.  Roof panes can slip and leave a bit of a gap and just need more glazing clips adding to keep them in place better.

I had remnants of sealing strips (black rubber strips) in one of my second hand small metal greenhouses, but it does not make that much difference without them.  They are probably more effective for keeping heat in.  But you could look into that too.   

If you have an old cheap greenhouse, I wouldn't worry too much about a few drips in bad rain, beyond checking that it is level.  But if it is a quality greenhouse then it is worthwhile contacting the manufacturers for suggestions.   

We have talked about drips and blight in the greenhouse, but the level of drips from my roof vents has never been of concern, especially as they fall on the path. 

Hope you manage to add photos for a better answer.  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:45:57 »
This must be a new thing but I have just "approved" the photos.
My guess is that somewhere in the software for the forum it prevents new members or first posts from including an attachment.
So apologies Jane your post is now complete and welcome to the forum.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 14:21:47 »
I can see the photos - but the drip says both are sideways - are you sure it isn't just condensation? You can get a lot of that this time of year, and frost can 'store' it so you get an impressive damp spot/pool after a thaw - thaws aren't just in the day,  could happen in the small hours.

In general rain will find the easier path off the outside of the glass, rather than "finding" its way up inside the glass and over the frame or the sheet below. A leak near the apex will intercept very little rain, and one further down the roof should be easy to see.

If you find a cracked pane in a roof then a quick fix can be to cut the flat sheet out of a clear PET bottle and push it down the overlap so it intercepts what comes through the gap. Also good when a corner comes off. Use its curve to make it lie up to the glass, not away.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 14:27:43 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 19:17:18 »
If it is rain entering, you may find that its because during assembly, the bolts were tightened before the glass was put in. A loose fit together, then when glazed (under the weight of the glass) , it will settle and seal against the rubbers. Then GENTLY tighten all the nuts. If you did not level, by packing between the level foundation and the frame, the gutters ,which are often very shallow, may be partially back- flowing and pooling in the corner. Once full, they may overtop into the greenhouse.
If you bought a recycled g house, as I have done myself recently, it would have been best to replace all the seals, which are easily found online.* Obviously perished or missing seals are defective but even if intact, they may not be sealing because the glass is in a slightly different position and probably not clipped in the same place. The only real concern with leaking, is the potential for electrocution. I would stress that professional survey of wiring is best, and suitable IP65 standard switches and fittings be used.
* I used
www.dovetailgreenhouses.co.uk

and got reasonable prices and quick supply.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal