Author Topic: Has anyone heard of Countrywide?  (Read 5588 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Has anyone heard of Countrywide?
« on: January 02, 2018, 13:14:27 »
HI All,

Just discovered this place about 20 miles near me and happen to be going near by on friday and as i need bark chips and some soil to top up some beds i though i would give them a go www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk.

Just wondered if anyone had used them? And if there any good?

Cam

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Has anyone heard of Countrywide?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 15:03:05 »
There is one literally round the corner from home, about a hundred yards. I use them mainly for their big multi purpose bales and top soil bulk offers as it is easier to transport them back. I mix the two for a better potting mix.

They also do small potted shrubs and perennials £3.99 each  - £10 for three which offers good value as long as you are prepared to give the plants a year or two to grow. Also the same and slightly larger plants reduced at the end of the season. Plants that perhaps look dead/dying but are in fact just dormant.

For the rest of the merchandise you need rather deep pockets. Particularly that designed for the horsey set! :happy7:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 15:07:18 by ed dibbles »

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 16:03:10 »
There is one literally round the corner from home, about a hundred yards. I use them mainly for their big multi purpose bales and top soil bulk offers as it is easier to transport them back. I mix the two for a better potting mix.

They also do small potted shrubs and perennials £3.99 each  - £10 for three which offers good value as long as you are prepared to give the plants a year or two to grow. Also the same and slightly larger plants reduced at the end of the season. Plants that perhaps look dead/dying but are in fact just dormant.

For the rest of the merchandise you need rather deep pockets. Particularly that designed for the horsey set! :happy7:

Ah cool yes my nearest store is newmarket in cambridge so very horsey (the horses even have priority on the roads !!) the order has ended up being quite large in the end so might have to have it delivered but will pop in and check on deals first :) thanks

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 16:57:34 »
I have in the past have packets of broadbean there own brand seeds from them they are very good value.

The one in Cirencester is next to the cattle market so tends to cater for them.  The wheelbarrows are good value and tend to be sturdy.  But no plants.  The one in Witney is quite different lots of plants and more horsey.  They are good for guinea pig food. 

Horses always have priority on the roads.  I once made one bolt right across a busy roundabout with a moped I have been very wary ever since. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 20:18:01 »
I have in the past have packets of broadbean there own brand seeds from them they are very good value.

The one in Cirencester is next to the cattle market so tends to cater for them.  The wheelbarrows are good value and tend to be sturdy.  But no plants.  The one in Witney is quite different lots of plants and more horsey.  They are good for guinea pig food. 

Horses always have priority on the roads.  I once made one bolt right across a busy roundabout with a moped I have been very wary ever since. 

Yes i know about the horses but i guess in newmarket when they go around in groups of about 50 ot 60 horses and you can be stuck easly 10 min waiting for them to cross its perhapse more of an annoyance hence me trying to avoid :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 08:51:33 »
I once worked in Lambourne it was similar.  Made getting to work on time difficult.  And then the car smelled having driven through the little piles and puddles.  The horses seem to think the walk from the stable to the gallops was a good opportunity to relieve the pressure.   

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 21:00:26 »
have been trying to check the basket out now since i posted here and the site keeps crashing so am heading over tomorrow to see whats happening and if i can order in store for delivery as pretty sure it will not all fit in my car !

4 x 100ltr bark chips
2 x 100ltr multicompost
6 x black gold 60ltr
2 x John Innis manure * buy 3 get 1 free
1 x John Innis potting compost

along with some other stuff - wish me luck !

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:41:26 »
Well that was a bust, having spent over a week trying to order i ended up after about 6 phone calls having someone place the order for me directly only to be told my £90 worth of goods would cost £60 to deliver so i kindly told them where to stick there order. Have never dealth with such a bad web site, such badly organised staff and such rude people on the phone !

Its not going to stop me through ! Husband can detour on a friday and collect a few bits each week for me until the new Bunnings opens (the homebase nearest me where i would have got the items from has been closed while they do the refit). Yes there still getting my money but only because the stuff is quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else i can get it from. And believe me once the Bunnings opens they will never see me again !

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 18:14:20 »
unsurprisingly they have gone bust

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 08:29:06 »
Hi Ya, from what you say it's no wonder they are going bust. Perhaps that is why the staff are shirty as they know they are for the chop. I enjoy seeing the horses in Newmarket they are lovely animals. Don't want to get to close though. I had one of the jumpy ones bolt when I was on the farm and throw the jockey and run up the field. All because the wipers were on intermittent and did a wipe. Worried me and I was in the car.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:04:30 »
Yes i am not a fan of horses as seen far to many horror stories.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 11:42:26 »
In case anyone's interested, there's an advert in today's Guardian for their closing down sale! Up to 50% off. With details of the administrators.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 21:52:08 »
Went into the one in witney last week, most things then were 10% off.  Things still expensive so not much in the way of bargains.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal