Author Topic: Blackcurrant high juice 50% juice no sugar added  (Read 2082 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Blackcurrant high juice 50% juice no sugar added
« on: January 01, 2018, 21:09:43 »
I have been slightly addicted and for some time have enjoyed Sainsburys offering.
However they have recently change the bottle and it does not taste very good.
So I have been trying every one I can find.
Morrisons: well this one smells to me of cat pee and is not very nice at all.
Tesco: is not unpleasant a bit too sweet but no hint of a blackcurrant taste.
Waitrose: had high hopes for this one! described as Bright and lively.  Quite nice to drink but certainly does not taste or smell of blackcurrant.  I do not want bright and lively!!  I want blackcurrant.
There is only one major one left Asda and they do not sell the no added sugar in my local store.  Reviews on their website not promising.  They are apparently adding sweeteners to their sugar version.
What is going wrong?  Have I lost my sense of taste?  Have I forgotten since a few weeks ago what a blackcurrant tastes like?  Did all the blackcurrants fail to get the right taste?  The ones on my lottie were fine.
Are there any out there that taste of blackcurrant?
There is Aldi but theirs is sweetened with Aspartame which I avoid so not tried theirs. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Blackcurrant high juice 50% juice no sugar added
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:36:29 »
waitrose do a nice one

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 16:46:40 »
Got waitrose it is currently the best of the bunch.  Did a wine type test on it.  Smelled it, sipped it, tasted it.  Not unpleasant but not a whiff of blackcurrant.   I would call it a sweet blackcurrant-coloured drink.  if I was blindfold I would not even think it had anything to do with blackcurrant. 
Was it something to do with the weather that they did not develop the proper taste?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 20:40:17 »
I agree. Siansbury did one that used to be pretty good but switched to a new recipe and the true taste of blackcurrants disappeared.

Ribena seems to be the only blackcurrant squash that retains a good blackcurrant tang, although even this one seems less intense than it did.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 14:24:09 »
Can’t stand blackcurrant myself (it all smells of cat wee) but weirdly I actually like Ribena!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal