Author Topic: New weather today  (Read 7738 times)

ACE

• Hectare
New weather today
« on: December 29, 2017, 08:33:31 »
The longest roll of thunder I can ever remember hearing and a downpour like a sideways monsoon. All finished now but at least it is warmer, 10% on the garden thermometer.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: New weather today
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:22:43 »
So hot I got a sweat on. But blustery showers with it

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 13:13:14 »
So hot I got a sweat on. But blustery showers with it

Not a "hot flush" as a result of that visit to the pub the other day was it Ace?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:49 »
The sweat was either fear or beer. But I have only ever had one hot flush and that was my own fault for getting in touch with my feminine side. But it is still warm here, I turned the heating off. Something bad must be coming so I'll batten down the hatches for a while.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:09:11 »
Hurricane Carmen hit us yesterday along the Vendée coast with winds of 130kph, thunder, lightning and lots of rain.  The last was welcome but we have a whole slab of corrugated iron garage roof missing, tiles loosened on the annex so we have a leak now, stones and mortar blasted from the wall of our barn - beam supporting so needs fixing - and the shade mesh was whipped off the polytunnel but we rescued it and stashed it inside.  Less seriously the bird table was smashed against the well and a few pots blown over.

They had it much worse further north so I'm not complaining.

Winds are a lot camer today and we still have welcome rain.  Another hibernating sort of a day.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:00:39 »
90mph winds last night, still warm though. I will have to get out later and survey the damage, but fingers crossed it should have been blowing from the SW  and the allotment should have been sheltered by the copse. PS just checked and all ok the fruit cage is leaning a bit but it is only rebar held together with cable ties.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:49:33 by ACE »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 13:45:08 »
Winds are up again here.  Kept me awake till after 5am listening to the howling and waiting for bangs.
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 20:14:09 »
Storm started about 8pm last night and must have peaked overnight, nighbour lost 2 fences thankfully my greenhouse was fine :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:46:06 »
Very warm still morning, fog horns blaring on the Solent as you cannot see your hand before your face.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:12 »
Bright and sunny so far after some welcome rain yesterday and overnight.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 08:36:37 »
Since they started naming a bit of wind, the breeze decided to ramp it up a bit. But still hovering around 10c. I'm glad I don't live in the frozen wastelands of the north, judging from the telly pictures you seem to be suffering from a Scottish summer.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 08:53:24 »
Ace, get the jumper back, I'm about 50 miles north of you and temperature has dropped from 11 deg C to 5deg C since04.00am!(http://www.crondallweather.co.uk/)
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:29:53 »
Couldn't sleep last night because of the wind.  The noise was awful.  Howling and banging as bits of something crashed against the windows.  Some damage in the garden too.  Feeling shattered now.  :wave:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 10:26:30 »
Same here - the wheelie bins were blown along the terrace and some tipped over *sigh* Dustmen came to empty them, but picking up the rubbish bags no longer in a bin, obviously isn't in their job description  :BangHead: So I'm now cold and cross after doing it for them, my bin is half full again now!
Garden furniture all over the place, but luckily the greenhouses are ok - which is always a major worry for me while I'm in bed listening to the noise!
Propped up fence stayed propped up as well. Result!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 16:36:05 »
FENCE DOWN!  Terrible night here in the capital and woke up at 2:30 and went to sleep downstairs where it was quieter.  It had died down enough for a nice bike ride this morning though.  Poly is still up by some miracle..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 17:14:53 »
I slept through it.  :sunny:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 15:54:21 »
where did I put that jumper? I cannot get warm today. Went out for my exercise earlier and my forehead hurt with the cold. Now wrapped up in all my clothes and a big fleecy hooded dressing gown and still shivering. Down to 6% but feels like 3% and I was only remarking yesterday on the big buds on the tulip tree.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 13:53:29 »
4 days rain, ground too wet to get on with any preparation. Windy again and the ferries have stopped with storm Georgina, don't you think they have got windier since they started naming them. They should name them after veggies, Jerusalem artichoke would be a good one for this one.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:53 »
I just seen a brass monkey, he was looking for a welder.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 09:42:27 »
Woke up to an inch of snow!   More falling very gently.  Doggies happy.  girl thingies affronted.  I'm hibernating for a few days till it's all gone and it's warm enough to start the weeding.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal