Author Topic: Giving up my allotment  (Read 3244 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Giving up my allotment
« on: December 27, 2017, 17:28:43 »
As you know, we are hoping to move in the next few months. Nothing much is moving on that front at the moment, but there didn't sem much point starting a new season on my allotment. so I've written my "termination" email today and will spend the next month clearing the plot and shed ready for the next person. I do feel sad to give it up after 12 years but I hope to still be able to grow some veg wherever we end up, and I've still got my garden until we move so I'll still be popping in here.To quote "The Beiderbecke affair", we are on the brink of a new era.. if only!

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Giving up my allotment
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 17:34:30 »
Best of luck with it too!. It is very uncomfortable(at least it is to me) to put ones' future in someone else's hands. Estate agents, solicitors, vendors of other properties and purchasers of your own all have to do the right thing. Horrible.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 18:01:40 »
Good luck with moving house. I would find it hard to give up my plot but most of us will have to one day. Our allotment site will one day be used for housing it’s just a matter of time. I am constantly planning “in my head” ways to grow vegetables at home.  I will miss the chats and the people more than anything else when I give my allotment up.....but at my age I have decided think of change as an adventure. Goodluck🙂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 18:47:11 »
House moving is so frustrating.  I do hope you get things sorted soon.

I thought I would only have about 10 years of allotmenting before a bypass went straight through, but pleased to say that that in at least another 10 years into the future.

If you are short of space at home there is various ways of vertical gardening.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 07:40:47 »
I wish you lots of luck and hope your move goes smooth,yes there is nothing worse than giving up the plot, we only had ours for 4 years near Heathrow and it made us lots of helpful friends on here..........however when we moved here to Dorset to be told the waiting list was 10 years if you were lucky the joy of growing on a small pile of earth in our garden just did not have that same appeal that I thought worth sharing here so have not....still enjoy reading everybodys efforts though......may you find another plot where ever you end up.

GazNjude x

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 20:21:59 »
sorry to hear this you will be a loss to your site i wish people who leave on our site would let us know they are leaving let alone clear out the shed  hope your new start is everything you hope for  good luck
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:48:04 »
Very best of luck Caroline.  Hope that the new year brings you everything nice you deserve.  It will be a big upheaval, but in the end it will be worth it.  Hope you will find a big plot or a new good allotment community too.   :wave:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 16:54:55 »
Thanks for all your good wishes- I'll keep you posted! To be honest, there's not that much of a community on the site I'm on, and since my OH and I both reduced our working days to 3 a week we've been away so many long weekends that I haven't really had time to keep on top of the plot, so I think if we get a garden big enough to have a small veg plot that will be enough for me, or if I can find an allotment site that does small plots maybe I'd take another one on.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:55:46 »
Best of luck with that change! I too have given up my allotment as my new partner has land and we have a new veg garden on it. It was sad to give it up, especially as we had to rotovate it (and after years of trying to do no dig that was a wrench!), but we managed to transplant all my perennials which have taken root in our new garden, so it's not all negative!  Hope you find your dream house.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 11:44:31 »
Well, that's it! Got a message last week to say a new tenant is taking over my plot from tomorrow, so I've just been down to dig up the last leeks and carrots (left some for the new tenant) . Glad to know it's not going to sit idle (hopefully!). Felt a mixture of relief and sadness as I drove away. We did second viewings for two properties yesterday, both of which could, with some work, have space for some veg so that's something to look forward to.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 15:59:12 »
I'm going to be in the same situation very soon, so I can empathise with you!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal