Author Topic: Unwanted Trees  (Read 2840 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Unwanted Trees
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:52:02 »
I have had a couple of trees at the edge of my plot that have been casting a large shadow over my plot for a number of years.

I can remember that the Oak tree was only about a foot high when I came onto the plot in1994 and the Ash appeared a few years later.

I left them never thinking that they would become a nuisance in years to come!

This year I grew my Chrysants in the bed under them and they were rubbish simply through lack of light.

I asked the Council ( my allotment landlord) about a month ago if they would remove them, never thinking they would due to the infamous "cutbacks" we keep hearing about.

Then lo and behold I got a phone call this morning about 8-15am asking if it was OK to remove them.

So at 10 o'clock this morning there were two trees and at 12 o'clock there were none as you can see in the attached photos.

OK I had to clear the logs away, but they shredded the branches and covered a grot spot in the area where my compost heap is and it has really improved the appearance of the area.

So all in all " a good mornings work"!

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Unwanted Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 13:06:10 »
What a shame. With all the land grabbing in the country taking over the green fields and others battling to save allotments surely those trees could of stayed. I think the plot looked better with them than now a full view of the housing. Still your call but I would of realigned my plot as the trees I have give a welcome shade in the hieght of summer when it has got very hot the shade has been most welcome

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 14:22:47 »
I bet the people in the houses aren't too happy either.

The ash would probably have got the disease that's killing them across Europe now - we've had to have two felled but have left the ones that are still healthy.

I'd have saved the oak as it's by far the best single habitat for all sorts of wildlife form invisible microbes through insects to birds and more.   There are salads and herbs that appreciate some shade.
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 15:51:37 »
I bet the people in the houses aren't too happy either.

They might be glad of the extra light, who are we to judge?
I had a mature cherry tree cut down in my garden, a few years back, to let some afternoon light into the house. The roots were also grown as far as the house drains.
Trees are beautiful in the countryside - but can be a real pain near houses, especially forest trees that grow to the size of Oak and Ash, when you consider how wide the roots will grow by maturity.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 17:19:55 »
Point taken ladies, however you do not know the whole story!

Point 1: I bet the people in the houses aren't too happy either.

These people have been asking for years for  me to remove them as they have been covering the view they want to see.

Our Allotments are situated at the edge of a wooded park some of which you can see in the link below, and that is what they want to see, not these two ungainly unkept specimens!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tee_gee/albums/72157630359326768

Add to that they love to see my beds of Veg, Chrysants & Dahlias.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Chrysanthemum/Chrys%20pics/06-Chrysanthemums.jpg

Point 2: Over the last 20-25 years I have re-planted dozens of Oak seedlings as a result of Squirrel caches which they have forgotten about and they have germinated.

In fact the Oak I have had removed is one such tree!

Point 3:
I would have realigned my plot as the trees.

Impractical! What I should have done is re-sited the little seedling I saw in 1994 like I do with the dozens of other seedlings I find on my plot each year.

Point 4: My crops are suffering more & more each year as the trees develop, and yes it was my call to remove them, more so now that I have got rid of one of my plots I want to utilise my only allotment for growing edibles not trees!

Point 5:
The plot holders (including myself) have built a butterfly garden at the top of the plots where we used to have our "Open Day Picnic"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tee_gee/albums/72157630358839744

So all in all I think I have done my bit over the years for wildlife on the allotments what with Bug & Bird boxes in my Apple trees etc.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Wildlife/Bug%20box.jpg

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Wildlife/P1240107.JPG

Plus I have improved the view for  the tenants of the houses.

BTW The logs from the trees now form the embankment of a stream that we are re-directing to ensure the plots do not flood.

So now water life such as frogs & toads have shelter among the logs at the edge of the stream.

I can understand you saying what you did,  but I think you will now agree now that you have these additional facts my actions were well thought out and not made in haste!

BTW I hope no one takes offence to my reply, in hind site I perhaps should have given you all more information on what I did in the first place!

Well at least as a result of this misunderstanding you get to have a look at some summery pictures during these bleak freezing cold days!

Enjoy!....Tg

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 19:15:15 »
Thanks for the extra info Tee Gee.  Explains a lot and makes it seem perfectly reasonable.

People will always make assumptions so the more info given at teh start, the better.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:06:07 »
on this note i was about to start a new thread this morning now there is no need  plots 83 and 84 have suffered from a shadow from a huge willow tree in the garden of one of houses at the side of the allotment it blocks the sun from three in the afternoon until sunset I've been a little unwell in recent months arthritis has been a nightmare anyway i digress so this week i was well enough to pop over for a few hours to do a little tidy up and to my surprise the tree has now gone ill post a pic next week of plots now bathed in afternoon sunshine  the tree  is in the corner of this pic  as you can see its huge but now no more i might put a pear tree in to soak up some of the water that will now be available  so more sunshine on the sunshine coast :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34:25 »
 as if by magic now you see it now you dont  just like that not like this like that   you gonna like this not a lot
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 20:53:53 »
I think the change is smashing :) Cant wait to see what you will do now that the light has changed on the plot :)
I am sure the stumps will make a nice seating area until you work out what you are going to grow there :)

Enjoy and Be Happy

Cam

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal