Author Topic: SOS  (Read 7188 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
SOS
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:01:49 »
Dear friends,

I just signed the petition "Save Cemetery Road Allotments, Huddersfield" and wanted to ask if you could add your name too.

This campaign means a lot to me and the more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-cemetery-road-allotments-huddersfield?bucket=email-blast-27_11_2017_temblast_27nov_4mlrad

Can you also take a moment to share the petition with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email or click these links:

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: SOS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:25:19 »
Signed.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 13:03:28 »
Signed, and I've posted the link on the GW forum.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 13:08:36 »
Signed

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 13:37:56 »
Are these you allotments TG

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 13:55:59 »
all done my old mate  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: hope the campaign  goes well
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 14:33:52 »
Are these you allotments TG

No but I know a few of the Plot holders from the days I used to exhibit my stuff.

Plus I think we plot holders must stick together in situations such as this particularly as the " All Weather Football Pitch" that is to replace them can be sited nearby, meaning that both projects could co-exist in the same area.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 16:40:18 »
Bad enough to lose allotments to house or road building but a football pitch?  Utter waste!
Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 16:46:52 »
Signed.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 16:52:52 »
Done
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 18:45:23 »
 Signed.  May

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 18:46:18 »

This is a photo of the situation the adjacent school want's to land grab even more.

Trouble is IMHO the politicians will think more of education in particular PE and not leisure pursuits, and authorise the closure!

I would guess these allotments are keeping some older people out of hospital due to the therapeutic benefits they get out of their plots. I know how therapeutic my plot is for me.

Add to that there is a campaign on to close our Infirmary so these potentially poorly people won't even have a local hospital to go to.

I will close there as I don't want to go political on you

I see politicians as a load of  :BangHead:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 18:50:41 »
Why on earth can't the use some of their existing land?   Looks like plenty.
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 23:09:23 »
Signed - let's hope the fight will be successful  :wave:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 08:51:40 »
Hi Ya, Signed and good luck

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 09:27:52 »
let's hope the fight will be successfu

.....and I do too

Had a look at the totals this morning and we are just forty votes off the targeted figure of 5000 so a few more would help!

A big thanks to those of you who have voted!.......Tg

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 17:28:07 »
I'm happy to sign, but rather unhappy to see this being pitched as a battle between allotments and education.

The idea it has to be an either one or the other is, in my opinion, a false dichotomy.

We ought to be able to enjoy allotments, and our youngsters ought to be able to have good schools with decent amenities. And speaking as a pensioner walking football player, the availability of all weather pitches is hardly the curse some are suggesting. Typical of local government to create divisions and set one group against another. People ought to be working together and demanding the allotments are retained and the pitch is provided too even if sited elsewhere. It does not have to be one or the other.

I hope your petition demands both!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 12:22:36 »
Signed.  I hope the petition will be successful.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 16:02:31 »
Signed just now.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 18:22:09 »
The latest news.....

The subject made the BBC  local evening news tonight and it was the headline item, that is it was the first item  dicussed.

Add to that our MP is on board which hopefully is a good thing unless it was simply a case of he wanted some 'soundbites' on telly.

Found out a bit more of what is happening apparently the council want to build a new school on the current playing field so they want to take over the allotments to replace the playing field.

According to the MP there is land nearby that would take an all weather football pitch and he said there is no need to touch the allotments.

He does not agree with re- locating the tenants onto a new site.

As he mentioned some of the tenants have spent decades getting their existing plots the way they want them and don't want to start again, particularly as some of them were affected by the last  plot takeover in 2007.

Many of the plot holders are retired and getting on a bit and don't feel up to starting again and I can associate with those feelings,I certainly wouldn't like to start again.

So I guess we all have to sit back and see what happens.

BTW the plot holders want to thank the 5000+ people who signed the petition and that obviously includes the A4A contingent.

Similarly the petition is still ongoing so if any more of you want to sign in I am sure it will be appreciated and who knows it might be enough to swing the decision the way we all want it.

So fingers crossed ....Tg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal