Author Topic: Need to get out and cover my purple sprouting  (Read 1994 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Need to get out and cover my purple sprouting
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:37:33 »
Snowing.  So now the deer will come and eat my greens.  Not sure how I will manage to get there.  Though I am supposed to be playing in a concert in deepest darkest Oxfordshire.  Where the phone Sat Nav is totally useless.

We do not often have snow here.  Pleased with pic managed to get the snow lit up by the flash.  Hence the streaks in the foreground.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Need to get out and cover my purple sprouting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:49:53 »
Nice 'extra' advent calendar photo, Digeroo  :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:02:50 »
More snow.  Looks lovely now the dawn has arrived

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 12:02:02 »
deepest darkest Oxfordshire.  Where the phone Sat Nav is totally useless.

I tried a Which? - recommended SatNav phone app recently and was gobsmacked that it wouldn't work at all without an internet connection.

It makes sense to have connectability available because people want traffic updates etc. (or they want to break the speed limit between speed cameras and risk other people's lives).

But to make a GPS app so it refuses to work at all without a connection is insane and irresponsible - it potentially puts people at risk when they get caught out by assuming it will work anywhere.

GPS is the only system that works literally anywhere on the surface of the planet - that's the whole reason why the military invented it; and older apps like Navigator (free) will find your position 100% of the time - entirely in passive mode - the on-board maps may be a little out of date but will still be incredibly useful when you are stuck.

No matter what Which? says is "best", everybody should keep a passive GPS app on their phones for emergencies.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 13:14:33 »
It was my fault I did not download the route and turn on GPS before I left.

There are large part of Oxfordshire without mobile phone connections.  You have to have 02.  They are part of what was David Camerons constituency.  And most of the road signs have been stolen as well.   

I used to like Waze.  But when I lost all my points I got fed up.  I kept on have to set up new accounts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal