Author Topic: best fruit tree sellers?  (Read 3371 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
best fruit tree sellers?
« on: December 06, 2017, 22:02:00 »
Any recommendations please of sellers that you have tried for fruit trees. I'm basically asking for fruit trees for Christmas!
Thanks

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: best fruit tree sellers?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 22:34:11 »
I think you have set your friends and relatives a tough task.

Because bare rooted trees are often despatched in late autumn / early winter to get your preferred choice from an on line supplier you generally need to place an order during summer. Looking now you may not find your first choice if you want bare rooted. Pot grown are far more readily available but correspondingly more expensive.

I've used local suppliers when I can but did use orange pippin trees (UK) once. Very good 2 year old  bare root apple tree on M9 rootstock. Very expensive though.

I love apples and have seven varieties split between my garden and allotment. I don't have any other types of fruit tree, albeit lots of other soft fruits.. I'm sure others will offer advice too.

What types and varieties are you looking for? Many of the modern varieties of dessert apples are fantastic. Did I mention how much I love apples?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:31 »
I agree.  My first choice was Deacons on the Isle of Wight (where we had our trees from) and they say that they have finished the bare rooted season already, because of springlike weather.

But other reputable suppliers Pomona for example, still have bare rooted trees.  A google search will find more.  Maybe order now and ask for an early present?

Trees in pots are available year round.  But you don't know for how long the tree roots were squeezed into a small pot.  These trees can take longer to take and establish.  Having said that we bought a pear tree at the local garden centre (impulse buy) that even had a fruit hanging off it already, and that settled well too, even though it must have been in the pot for ages. 

:wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:59 »
I am a fan of Bunkers Hill.  I have had quite of lot of things from them but not fruit trees.  I visited a couple of weeks ago and they has a large selection of fruit trees.   Though they do not have a large range of root stocks.

http://bunkershillgardenshop.co.uk/bramley-1yr-feathered-maiden-tree-on-mm106-rootstock/

Personally I would recommend Lidl but they do not have them for Xmas.

Also depends on the budget.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 18:01:48 »
id go to your local one here on the sunshine coast its ken muir  i buy all my trees from his reduced section this year i got a espalier apple discovery for £10 now thats value and they have had a chance to get used to your local climate and you can have a chat with the grower to see what he/she thinks will do well for you hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 19:46:11 »
Good reports on quality , value and service from
www.blackmoorestate.co.uk
https://www.blackmoor.co.uk/

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 19:48:34 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 23:15:57 »
As usual, lots of good advice from knowledgeable and helpful contributors.

However, I think you need to make one further decision not related to the supplier.

How much room have you got and how big do you want the mature trees to grow? Hugely important to get the correct rootstock. Taking apples as an example MM106 is a very common rootstock but may get to 4 metres fully grown, and need a spread of 3 to 4 metres. It could all go wrong if you have an M27 apple in a huge space or equally an M106 apple in a tiny garden.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 07:51:45 »
I think matching your purchase to your soil might be important,  Personally I have not been happy with Ken Muir or Blackmoor.

I bought a grape from blackmoor and it was described as seedless.  I was important to me because my daughter cannot cope with pips.  When it finally fruited and contains quite a lot of pips they did not want to know.

I also think the rootstock is important.  I am not sure I like M27 it tends to fall over but does seem to fruit quickly and fruit is very large.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 09:19:57 »
You need to order well in advance so it will be too late to get them this year ... but the best range I've ever seen is agroforestry.co.uk (https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/product-category/plants/top-fruit/)

You can get pretty much every fruit on any compatible rootstock you choose.  They will deliver - but are based in Devon if you want to collect.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:24:32 »
Thanks for all of your advice here. I think I have decided to wait a bit now and perhaps plan for next year. Due to tennis elbow in both arms ..... we haven't got very far in preparing the allotment so would have to pot them up anyway. It sounds like the best thing is to order in advance!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 11:39:22 »
As usual, lots of good advice from knowledgeable and helpful contributors.

However, I think you need to make one further decision not related to the supplier.

How much room have you got and how big do you want the mature trees to grow? Hugely important to get the correct rootstock. Taking apples as an example MM106 is a very common rootstock but may get to 4 metres fully grown, and need a spread of 3 to 4 metres. It could all go wrong if you have an M27 apple in a huge space or equally an M106 apple in a tiny garden.

Yes what you say about MM106 is absolutely correct Beersmith, but this rootstock can also be used for heavily pruned forms such as stepovers,  columnar trees, closely spaced cordons along a fence as well as espaliers.  It is a more vigorous rootstock, so best for less ideal soils but will tolerate heavy pruning and give high yields.  :wave:

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 15:28:45 »
I would recommend three more fruit nurseries to your list based on personal experience.

Keepers Nursery

https://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/

R.V. Rogers

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?ls=fp

Chris Bowers

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/

Keepers Have a huge choice of varieties, rootstocks and great communication.

R.V Rogers and Chris Bowers too have a wide choice.

There is also Lubera if you want to try something different. A bit pricey though.

http://www.lubera.co.uk/

Finally G.B Onilne. This company offers some interestingly unusual varieties and is particularly good if you fancy your hand at grafting fruit. interesting blog too.

http://www.gb-online.co.uk/prestashop/

Happy shopping!  :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal