Author Topic: Hooray  (Read 1605 times)

small

• Hectare
Hooray
« on: December 21, 2017, 19:53:56 »
Anybody else feel like me that today is the turn of the year, the nights are drawing out, and spring will definitely come? Yes, I know we've got the snow and ice and stuff to come still, but we are going the right way!

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Hooray
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 21:21:11 »
I certainly like the idea that we are on our way to summer!

Have a look at this though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30549149

"It would seem logical that after the shortest day has elapsed the mornings would start getting lighter earlier, but this isn't what happens - the mornings continue darkening until early in the new year."

"Meanwhile, those who thought that the winter solstice would mark the earliest sunset would also be wrong as the earliest sunset arrives a couple of weeks earlier."

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 21:27:26 »
https://mwidlake.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/the-evenings-are-drawing-out/

"When do the evenings start drawing out? This year, 2017, it is December 12th. On that day sunset will be 15:51 and about 30 seconds in London. On the 13th it will be a few seconds later . By the 17th of December, the sun will resolutely stay in the sky until 15:52 {and a few seconds}. The days will be drawing out at last. {the exact times will be different for other cities and countries but the DATE will be the same – see the links at the bottom of this page to check for your town and country}"

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 22:39:50 »
Doubtless the BBC were ably dis-inclined to fully explain to all their listeners,  the factors of
obliquity.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 22:53:57 »
Que??!!

But the website does say:

"There are two reasons why the length of the solar day varies, the first being the fact that the axis of the Earth's rotation is tilted - 23.5 degrees from vertical - and second, the Earth's speed varies because it moves in an elliptical orbit around the sun, accelerating when it is closer to the star's gravitational pull and decelerating when it is further away."

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:49:22 »
Don't matter what day it starts getting longer the 21st is my milestone and always will be. I don't care about the other predictions, earths axis, gravitational pull, etc. It is the official start to the midwinter p!ss up and goes on until the first day of January regardless of your roman/gregorian/whateveryouwanttocallit calender.  The shortest day it is and the shortest day it will stay.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:28:40 »
It's OK Ace. It is definitely the shortest day. It is just a matter of the time it starts and stops!! As you say, "Let the p!as up begin". Happy Christmas!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:13 »
indeed I'm thinking of dusting off the propergator and starting my chillis off in a couple of weeks then peppers then dahlias then tomatoes then its march and its here
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal