Author Topic: Hibernation  (Read 1952 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Hibernation
« on: November 30, 2017, 14:49:40 »
Well that's another year over on the Allotments.

Apart from a bit of harvesting I do not have anymore to do on them for the next 4 months or so.

All the winter digging is done apart from the Winter Veg patch.

Added to that I have now given up one of my plots so for the first time in 30+ years I will only be working one plot.

This morning I tidied up and dug the last bed on the plot I am giving up so that the lady who is taking it over has pretty much a clean slate to go at.

All she will have to do next year is to hoe off any annual weeds that emerge between now and when she wants to plant out, and tidy up the footpaths as you can see here;

I have also moved an 8x6 greenhouse up to my garden at home in preparation for the day I may give up my remaining plot.

My plan for next year is to grow my salad crops, tomatoes,peppers and cucumbers in the garden at home.

In regards to my remaining allotment I have planned on growing the same amount of varieties but less of them and doing more "successional plantings" rather than growing lots of plants and getting the periodic gluts I have had in the past.

This is another reason I have moved my 8x6 as it means I can just walk out the back door rather than traveling around four miles to my allotment to prepare these successional crops.

So as you see I am not giving up as such, I am only planning on growing at a more leisurely pace, a pace more befitting a man of my age...I will be 80 next year!

So I guess now I can alter my ways as I have threatened to do for a number of years now.

Over the past few years " my mind still thinks I am a middle aged man but my body has been telling me otherwise" so it is this that that is pushing the changes in my life style.

Thought you might like to see how I have laid out my 8'x6'

View of the outside:

Views of the inside:

Ring culture pots in place!

Benches laid out for storing plants that need protection during the winter and / or for hardening off seedlings in Spring!

Once I have cleared the winter/spring stock I remove the bench top to the back of the rings, fill the rings with compost then plant my plants!

So now I think I can sit back for the next few months and relax and enjoy myself.

But having said that I have been working quite hard recently  on my website where I am giving it a 100% overhaul to make it more user friendly for people with tablets and smart phones.

Plus I am updating some of my sowing dates to come in line with the recent weather changes, or global warming as some call it!

Then of course I will have my daily fix of visiting A4A to see what all you lot are up to!

:director2: :computer: :occasion14: :toothy2: :sleepy2: :toothy1: :icon_santa:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Hibernation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 16:33:37 »
Sounds like a good decision Tee Gee - well planned and well executed.  Nice of you to dig for your successor.  Not many would.  I hop eyou get all the salads and veggies you need form your new arrangements.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 08:29:18 »
Four months off!  I normally at least pop in some mangetout and broadbeans in Feb, though the plots are ready for them.  Then I really get going in March.   I have not done as much preparation as I would like.  I have only got about 1/3 dug.  1/3 is fruit or growing winter crops etc.  So still 1/3 to do.   I consider anything I do before March a bonus.   Space is ready for the potatoes. 
I still have rather a lot of stinging nettles and digging them out is proving very time consuming and hard work.  Maybe warm enough this afternoon to tackle another patch.
Some of the purple sprouting is showing signs of sprouting.  I will need to keep an eye on it.  If is snows the deer will eat it.   So it will need netting.
Then January instead of hibernating I am off on my summer holiday.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 17:15:58 »
Good heavens, TeeGee, you've got twice as much energy as me and I'm fifteen years younger. Very sensible of you to slow down a little, I hope you'll carry on posting here, I love to read your stuff. It is much easier to garden at home, as I do, you can pop out for five minutes at a time, and of course if you're short one lettuce leaf it's on your doorstep!
Enjoy your winter break/change.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 17:51:06 »
I agree, I am not 80 quite yet, but sure that the walk, bicycle ride to my allotment has got longer, but will miss the good chats with the allotment folk.   Hopefully someone else will love it as much as I did, and I will get my new house with a garden and greenhouse (hopefully). Funny that I do not feel old, but glad I haven't got a dog to walk anymore, and like my bed and a book in the evening, and my tea and biscuits in bed in the morning, from OH (the tea boy).  Sorry but I am getting old and boring but luckily I don't really care.  Cold today in not so sunny Enfield.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 15:45:22 »
I love my allotment but like you TeeGee appreciate a few weeks off in winter.

Well I'll need to get along for a couple of hours to prune the apple trees. Oh nearly forgot, i plan to dig up and move a rhubarb to other end of the plot so that is another morning. But apart from that nothing much, well apart from harvesting some parsnips and celeriac that are still in the ground. Now I'm thinking about it I will need to do something with the dahlias to make sure the winter frosts don't get them. May lift a few and risk a few under a good layer of mulch. I need to prune my fruit bushes but that can wait until it gets colder.  On reflection, I still have an area of about three pole that needs winter digging. That will require a few visits - I don't dig as quickly as I used to. And I've bought a few Ranunculus claws that really ought to have been set by now so that's another trip. Still got a few leeks to harvest. And planning to turn my compost heap so it is all well rotted for use next season. The shed needs tidying of course, but that is about all. Did I say a few weeks off?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 21:54:47 »
My memory is getting bad. The grass on the paths has been growing steadily and really needs cutting too. If I feel really inspired I may trench out and prepare for next season's runner and French beans.

No rest for the wicked.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 09:59:39 »
If I feel really inspired I may trench out and prepare for next season's runner and French beans.

I don't like digging in winter for the simple reason iI see this as digging in the cold soil on the surface and covering it with the relatively warm soil from below,meaning you effectively have a spit deep of cold soil when planting time comes around.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal