Author Topic: Weed killers containing Glyphosate  (Read 16352 times)

nodig

• Half Acre
Re: Weed killers containing Glyphosate
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 21:33:08 »
Glyphosate

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 21:47:27 »
In a nutshell I would say the benefits of Glyphosate is huge and proven the risks minimal (if anything) - a bit like mass immunisation of children really.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2018, 08:39:07 »
Nodig .. Quoting things like , People on trains melting and the like has no relevance. like the fact it was believed in the past DDT was OK, or mercury is harmless.  Glyphosate interferes with your gut bacteria, not your human cells , It is possibly safe for humans ,  but we are not all 100% human we need a healthy gut to survive . spray your weedkiller , wear a mask, wash your produce, and keep it to your plot. 

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2018, 10:58:53 »
I'm glad you mention DDT picman, another strory of a fantastic life saving product banned under the weight of a national hysteria in the USA created by a fake news book written by an anti science writer Rachel Carson.  In fact a 7 monthe scientific hearing set up by the USA government concerning DDT came to the conclusion that "DDT is not carcinogenic, mutagenic, or teratogenic to man".

Here is Wikipedia - DDT is classified as "moderately toxic" by the US National Toxicology Program (NTP) and "moderately hazardous" by WHO. Indirect exposure is considered relatively non-toxic for humans.  So you see DDT was never the monster killer that you want us to believe, people didn't melt when they sprayed it or even eat it, and India's and China's population doesn't seem to be in decline does it?  Carry on saving the world picman - you are doing a good job.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2018, 11:46:02 »
Unfortunately for the birds it did affect their ability to make strong eggshells and raptors, the highest up the food chain, were worst affected.  It is taking dceades for populations to recover.

Gardening, agriculture and chemicals are not just about humans.  Think of the birds and, especially, the bees too.
Obxx - Vendée France

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2018, 12:36:13 »
Roads have a flattening effect on Hedgehogs but have we banned roads yet?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2018, 13:30:42 »
Road accidents kill people too.  The trick is to avoid accidents and disasters by careful thought and planning but no-one can legislate for sheer stupidity.
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2018, 14:24:51 »
The significant change is comparing numbers of allergies and other problems, like children with ADHD now and 50 years ago.  And ponder the changes.

Looking at the cocktail of agrichemicals (each one looked at on its own is not considered harmful!) as well as air pollution due to the rise in number of cars, micro plastics in the seafood we eat and suddenly we have a massive increase in severe asthma, rise in cancer rates, allergies, hayfever, lower sperm count and a whole lot more. 

So yes, I agree, in isolation these poisons and nerve agents, if used correctly, are not a problem.  But cumulative and in addition to everything else also going on, they are a likely contributor.   There never has been and never can be, a study that can look at all these factors together and we do not have a time machine.  There have been studies that cancer rates are much lower in pristine wilderness areas and I recall another that showed that Danish organic farmers had much higher sperm count than their non-organic colleagues. 

And if we don't absolutely 'have to' use these sprays, then we probably shouldn't.  :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2018, 15:47:38 »
It does get rid of bindweed but nettles come back from the roots.  There is a suggestion that it causes cancer. 

One of our plot holders who was very keen on the stuff, spraying clouds of it about the place, has recently died of cancer.  I know one case is not good for statistical analysis.  But it puts me off even more.

I wish people would use less, a hoe is better.   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45155788

What worries me is how much farmers are using.   The spraying of wheat to help ripen it makes me glad I do not eat wheat.

Here are some Monsanto companies to avoid
https://www.thealternativedaily.com/monsanto-owned-companies-to-boycott/

Patent on glyphosate has now expired.

Monsanto taken over by Bayer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 16:11:48 by Digeroo »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2018, 16:21:17 »
Doesn't kill our bindweed!   Tried it.  Nor does drought!   Now we dig and mow and hoe and strim and curse.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2018, 17:15:20 »
I certainly done a lot of cursing at bindweed, that certainly does not work but have had success with glyphosate.    Bindweed appeared in the hedge and got only inches from my plot.   :BangHead: :BangHead:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2018, 17:58:56 »
We have acres of the stuff, along with apple mint.  It is less vertically inclined than the stuff we had in our Belgian garden and rpoduces many more curly white underground stems from a thick brown root.  Total PITA.
Obxx - Vendée France

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2018, 12:04:54 »
Unfortunately for the birds it did affect their ability to make strong eggshells and raptors, the highest up the food chain, were worst affected.  It is taking dceades for populations to recover.

Gardening, agriculture and chemicals are not just about humans.  Think of the birds and, especially, the bees too.

Well said. We share this earth with all other creatures, we have a duty to them too. Rachel Carson's book was required reading in my biology A level and I still stand by its conclusions.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 16:04:05 »
Yes ants have equal rights until they try and get into my house and then they get zapped - I hope I am not upsetting the delicate eco system of mother earth.  My mate Bob said the best way to save pandas is to start selling panda meat in the supermarkets - lots of panda farms - lots of panda meat - lots of pandas - A world in perfect harmony.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal