Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Weed killers containing Glyphosate

<< < (10/11) > >>

nodig:
Roads have a flattening effect on Hedgehogs but have we banned roads yet?

Obelixx:
Road accidents kill people too.  The trick is to avoid accidents and disasters by careful thought and planning but no-one can legislate for sheer stupidity.

galina:
The significant change is comparing numbers of allergies and other problems, like children with ADHD now and 50 years ago.  And ponder the changes.

Looking at the cocktail of agrichemicals (each one looked at on its own is not considered harmful!) as well as air pollution due to the rise in number of cars, micro plastics in the seafood we eat and suddenly we have a massive increase in severe asthma, rise in cancer rates, allergies, hayfever, lower sperm count and a whole lot more. 

So yes, I agree, in isolation these poisons and nerve agents, if used correctly, are not a problem.  But cumulative and in addition to everything else also going on, they are a likely contributor.   There never has been and never can be, a study that can look at all these factors together and we do not have a time machine.  There have been studies that cancer rates are much lower in pristine wilderness areas and I recall another that showed that Danish organic farmers had much higher sperm count than their non-organic colleagues. 

And if we don't absolutely 'have to' use these sprays, then we probably shouldn't.  :wave:

Digeroo:
It does get rid of bindweed but nettles come back from the roots.  There is a suggestion that it causes cancer. 

One of our plot holders who was very keen on the stuff, spraying clouds of it about the place, has recently died of cancer.  I know one case is not good for statistical analysis.  But it puts me off even more.

I wish people would use less, a hoe is better.   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45155788

What worries me is how much farmers are using.   The spraying of wheat to help ripen it makes me glad I do not eat wheat.

Here are some Monsanto companies to avoid
https://www.thealternativedaily.com/monsanto-owned-companies-to-boycott/

Patent on glyphosate has now expired.

Monsanto taken over by Bayer.

Obelixx:
Doesn't kill our bindweed!   Tried it.  Nor does drought!   Now we dig and mow and hoe and strim and curse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version