Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Weed killers containing Glyphosate

(1/11) > >>

picman:
At our AGM I unsuccessfully tried to get our members to ban Glyphosate weed killers from our site  :BangHead: , My evidence presented reported the research from MIT re the harm it can do if ingested by humans , and presented the fact  it has been banned , in the Netherlands, Mexico , Argentina Sri Lanka Brazil , and El Salvador. I was wondering if any associations have banned these weedkillers.   

Plot 18:
I know some people feel very strongly about Glyphosate, but can you really ban something that is still, atm, legal to use in the UK? (although I should think that nobody likes the idea of it being used quite as much as it is!)
The EU haven't banned it (yet!) because they don't think the research has actually proved it is harmful, to humans.

For every bit of research against, there's another says it is safe.

lezelle:
Hi Ya, I don't advocate the use of weedkillers but in certain circumstances there is no alternative. I have read that Glyphosate is safe and breaks down on contact with the earth. I know of a no dig gardener who uses it all the time and it's their choice. If I use it on my plot thats my decision. As for what other countries are doing, they use worse things. I would stand against and ignore the ban if our site tried to bring it in. There are worse things being used like neonicotinoids. You have your reasons I've no doubt but so do others. You do your thing on your plot I will do mine and providing neither hurts the other then hey ho, nuffsaid

picman:
lezelle...  glyphosate. While the pesticide industry maintains that glyphosate is minimally toxic to humans, new research published in the Journal Entropy strongly argues otherwise by shedding light on exactly how glyphosate disrupts mammalian physiology. Authored by Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff of MIT, the paper investigates glyphosate’s inhibition of cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes, an overlooked component of lethal toxicity to mammals. Dr. Seneff describes the mechanism by which the glyphosate disrupts human biological processes. The currently accepted view is that ghyphosate is not harmful to humans or any mammals because the shikimate pathway found in plants is absent in animals. The shikimate pathway is involved with the plant’s synthesis of certain amino acids and is lethally disrupted by glyphosate. What has been completely overlooked until now is that the shikimate pathway is present in beneficial human gut bacteria, which play a critical role in human health. Gut bacteria aid digestion, prevent permeability of the gastointestinal tract, synthesize vitamins and provide the foundation for robust immunity. Glyphosate Disrupts the Functioning of Beneficial Gut Bacteria In synergy with disruption of the biosynthesis of important amino acids via the shikimate pathway, glyphosate inhibits the cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes produced by the gut microbiome.  CYP enzymes are critical to human biology because they detoxify the multitude of foreign chemical compounds, xenobiotics, that we are exposed to in our modern environment today.
As a result, humans exposed to glyphosate through use of this herbicide in their community or through ingestion of its residues on industrialized food products become even more vulnerable to the damaging effects of other chemicals and environmental toxins they encounter! What’s worse is that the negative impact of glyphosate exposure is slow and insidious over months and years as inflammation gradually gains a foothold in the cellular systems of the body.  The consequences of this systemic inflammation are most of the diseases and conditions associated with the Western lifestyle:
Gastrointestinal disorders, Obesity, Diabetes, Heart Disease , Depression , Autism, Infertility, Cancer ,Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease And the list goes on and on and on …
In summary, Dr. Seneff’s study of glyphosate uncovers the manner in which this lethal environmental toxin gradually and inevitably disrupts homeostatis in the human body with the tragic end result of disease, degeneration, and widespread suffering.   

Plot 18:
Mmm 2 sides to the story perhaps? I prefer to check out both sides before taking published articles as fact.
Read more about that here if you like.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4538578/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/glyphosate-the-new-bogeyman/
and
https://www.alternet.org/food/meet-controversial-mit-scientist-who-claims-have-discovered-cause-gluten-sensitivty

--- Quote ---SS(Dr Senaff): No. It’s all computer science. It’s all synthesis. So basically what I do is I read papers and I process them with the computer to help me understand them and interpret them and generalize and build a story. So it’s really a matter of studying. Mostly what I do now is study, and then write. Trying to understand biology. I have an undergraduate degree from MIT in biology, and I also spent one year in graduate school in biology before switching over to computer science.
--- End quote ---

So I personally don't think it is as clear cut as you believe..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version