Author Topic: Water...I'm swimming in the stuff!  (Read 2158 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Water...I'm swimming in the stuff!
« on: November 15, 2017, 16:28:25 »
Hi Everyone,

Haven't been on for ages, too busy with my new garden, which is turning into a bit of a nightmare.  It slopes gently downwards, and, as you would expect in Cornwall, with all the rain there is a damp bit at the bottom.  No problem really, I'll cope with that.  But it has a small round island bed, 5ft across, once populated by a terrible dead apple tree, and bluebells......loads of 'em.  I love bluebells, but couldn't stand the ugliest old tree stump in the world, and dug out the stump, dug out the blue bells and moved those I wanted to keep, and intend to fill my nice round hole with cobbles, topped by a birdbath. 

Well I've dug out fine enough but now my nice round hole is a mini pond every time it rains.  Before I start to fill it up with cobbles, I need to lay drainage.  Any suggestions, i.e. coarse stones, then fine grit, a semi permeable membrane? Ideas would be so welcome, as we already have one pond and don't need another!  Help needed here!  Thanks in advance.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
Re: Water...I'm swimming in the stuff!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:49:31 »
Sounds like you need to do herringbone drainage starting from the top, a lot of work but would be worth it in the.  :coffee2:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:03:58 »
I expect it is naturally wet, that is why the apple tree died. I would dig a trench the depth of the hole to lead the water elsewhere, preferably to a sink hole. Lay any old rubble in the bottom and back fill. But it is winter and that is what holes in the ground do at this time of year.

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:59 »
I would make a pond, sounds like what nature intended.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 19:15:08 »
I would make a pond, sounds like what nature intended.
and build your birds a floating "bath", a raft of 4 logs with a woven basket slightly submerged would do it , giving them some protection from marauding moggies. Simply moor between 4 cords.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 19:20:01 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal