Author Topic: underplanting raspberries?  (Read 3411 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
underplanting raspberries?
« on: April 01, 2005, 09:52:10 »
Can I plant something under my raspberry canes? If so - do I need to do anything special to the bed?

I was thinking of creating a permenant bed of raspberries with periennial herbs or leafy things (like Sorrel) or maybe strawbs or rhubarb underneath. Is it plausible?

(remember - I don't have an allotment and don't have much space.)
gone to pot :D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: underplanting raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:05:16 »
Raspberries are very shallow rooted so I would guess it's a bad idea but it would be interesting to hear other peoples experiences
PS. Couch grass grows very well as an underplanting around mine, not to mention Docks >:(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 11:17:59 »
Shallow roots - that's why I was thinking periennials. Something I'm not going to keep disturbing.

Oh - I should've said, I haven't actually planted the raspberries yet! (they are in pots). The space they are probably going to go in has my over-wintering broadies at the mo.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:31:04 »
Was just thinking Aqui, dint raspberries reproduce by suckering ???  Not too sure because mine are still in pots waiting to go to the allotment.  Will it not be a case of the raspberries disturbing whatever you grow underneath with new suckers coming up through them..  As I said I'm not an expert because I have never grown them and haven't even got my new ones in yet.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 12:15:13 »
Hi Aqui, I underplanted with Garlic - Shouldn't disturb the roots too much when harvesting and (according to my companion planting guide) the garlic will help keep aphids and other pests away (kinda like planting under roses...)

jammy :)

p.s. I hope the flavour doesn't transfer - garlic raspberries  :-X

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:19:19 »
jammy - let me know if your rasps taste of garlic!

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 14:30:52 »
Mimi,

Yes raspberries produce suckers which will grow up through Aquilegias perennials.   In fact,  if you don't dig out the suckers the raspberries will eventually take over your entire plot!

I prefer to underplant with something short-lived and shallow rooted:  but I hadn't thought of garlic!
Good gardening!

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal