Author Topic: Rocket seedlings  (Read 5933 times)

*Joanne*

• Quarter Acre
Rocket seedlings
« on: April 01, 2005, 21:49:08 »
I planted them last Saturday they have done really well better than my carrots.I am really worried that i will kill them i have tried to sow things before and they have died.Now a few thing to save them from death do i take the propagator lid off now and when do i thin them out.I have got some plug tray to put them in i have never done this right before they always die.I really want to do this right not been brave enough to try tomato.

Thanks Joanne
I would like to be a glow-worm.
A glow-worm's never glum.
Its hard to be downhearted
When the sun shines out your bum.

Joanne

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Rocket seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 22:47:49 »
Joanne, take the lid off to prevent dampening off. Then wait 'till they have their first true leaves and prick out. I grew mine in small plug trays, germinated without the use of a propagator but I didn't have much luck with them after germination. Lots of them seemed to keel over and die for no good reason, I've had about a 50% success rate. Good luck with yours.

and why not try tomato, I find them really easy to grow.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 23:48:07 »
See, my rocket grown in modules all bolted within day!  Directly sown bolted, but not quite as quick.  I am trying again but this time have encorporated masses of organic matter in the ground to hold on to some moisture and have started them off under a cloche now rather than wait another month.

*Joanne*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 23:56:53 »
Thanks hope they will do ok never had any look with tomatos i get my plants for the local market  they never go red and were very dry last year.I would love to try cherry tomatos this year have seen some plants for sale on ebay.

Joanne

*Joanne*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 23:58:55 »
May i just ask what bolted means ???

Joanne

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 00:00:38 »
Yup, it is when a plant runs to seed - so flowers.  My kale is just doing that on the plot now.  Time to pull it up and chuck it on the compost heap.  At least with rocket you can eat the tasty flowers!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 08:22:34 »
Don't forget to fleece your Rocket, or the flea beetle will get it! After all that!!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 13:50:54 »
Joanne-if you want to grow some cherry toms there is plenty of time yet to sow seeds.

I would be happy to send you some if you like-just pm me-my fides are completely bona.

Stephan

PrincessPlant

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 15:44:58 »
I grew rocket last year and made successional sowings throughtout the year. The earliest sowing all bolted pretty quickly but the later sowings were very well behaved and we had fresh rocket right up till january this year. I sowed direct as it is pretty hardy and I didn't cover with fleece. The earlier sowings I think may have suffered with flea beetle as some of the leaves had small holes in but it didn't stop us from eating them (the leaves that is, not the flea beetles). All in all I found it a very easy plant to grow.
If you first sowing fails then keep trying!

PP

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 16:19:03 »
Well said and welcome pp-and remember rocket flowers taste wonderful.

Stephan

PrincessPlant

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 16:57:07 »
Hi Stephan, I wasn't aware they were edible but I will bare that in mind for next time as I'm sure they will bolt again. I found the flowers to be very pretty and so left them to flower their socks off before removing them later.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 17:05:45 »
Planted my Rocket seedlings out today in my fleece tunnel. Why do plants bolt, is it when temperatures are too high or too low? I know lack of water can make them bolt.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 17:27:28 »
I've still got rocket from an autumn sowing. It's pretty d**n hardy.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 19:08:11 »
yes yes and yes again Jesseveve.  They can bolt for a whole host of reasons, but they are doing it mainly because they have been stressed and naturally need to reproduce and set seeds.  Root damage, too dry, too wet, damaged by bugs etc, anything really that stresses the plant out. 

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 19:12:22 »
Beat me to it again, Emma!!

Was saying that a check, or sowing at the wrong time, contribute. Had a look at this to see if it would help you ...........

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0904/bolting_vegetables.asp

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 19:35:13 »
Thanks. So my spinach and lettuce will more than likely bolt as the days get longer, but hopefully as they've had a good start I'll get some leaves before that happens and will make some more sowings after the summer solstice. As for my Swiss Chard, hopefully the weather will be stable and not like last year. And I'll keep my broccoli, rocket and cauliflower well watered.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal