Author Topic: Flea beetle.  (Read 1847 times)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
Flea beetle.
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:36:11 »
I've read past posts on these but wonder if there is any more up to date advice or insecticides to get rid of flea beetle.  Derris has been banned for about a decade now.   Before this season I had a plot free of them but had some damage, especially to my caulis, this year.  Others on the site have suffered worse than I have.  Anyone know of anything new before I finalise my plans for next year?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Flea beetle.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 16:43:43 »
I'm reduced to  barrier methods...

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 22:33:18 »
I will read any replies with interest. This is a pest that has caused me a lot of problems in the past. Early sowings of Pak Choi have been so peppered with holes that they are inedible.

Brassicas often get hit too. Although they usually recover, they are certainly given serious set back. I've tried pyrethrum based sprays but the benefits were fairly minimal.  For me they are usually at their worst in late spring especially in dry spells. Does anyone think liberal and regular watering might help?

Cheers
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:30:08 »
I find that its direct sown crops that seem to suffer, where the seeds are sown to modules and then planted out, the plants are of a size where they resist attack.This pest has increased as the planting by farmers of oil seed rape has been more widespread, spring sown crops are sprayed several times but the increased background population finds us!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 20:58:55 »
After a lot of reading and on line research I am going to experiment with dusting with diatomaceous earth to combat flea beetle next season. Has anyone ever attempted this? Any success?

Cheers

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 22:21:31 »
I use diatomaceous earth on the pigs to kill skin pests its a silica but if putting it on plants make sure you get food grade as there smaller amounts of metal and arsenic in it.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 23:13:12 »
I use diatomaceous earth on the pigs to kill skin pests its a silica but if putting it on plants make sure you get food grade as there smaller amounts of metal and arsenic in it.

Thank you. I'll follow your advice. Food grade it is!

I have heard reports it is effective against cat fleas, dog fleas, bed bugs, and even cockroaches in the home. So may be effective against flea beetle. Also some people recommend it as a food additive so food grade then plus a really good wash before consuming the produce should be safe enough.

No way of knowing if it will work. Fingers crossed.

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:52:50 »
Soluble aspirin dissolved in water and sprayed on plants makes the plant grow its own defence against some insects.
50 mg to one ltr water  :coffee2:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal