Author Topic: COSHH policy  (Read 3882 times)

argali

• Not So New ...
COSHH policy
« on: October 30, 2017, 21:57:23 »
Hi Guys, another question. Does any association have to provide their landlord with a COSHH policy on the safe use, storage and disposal of chemicals as required under COSHH regulations? This would apply to all plot holders.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: COSHH policy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 23:20:00 »
I suppose the answer is in the answer is on the HSE website on the basics of COSHH

"COSHH is the law that requires employers to control substances that are hazardous to health."

best wishes
Bill

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:38 »
No one employs us, so why would those rules apply?

HSE advice for gardeners here
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/user-areas/garden-home.htm

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 14:02:54 »
Don't even go there! Its a can of worms. Be so careful in what you wish for. The thought of what could develop from this would be enough to start the revolution.
What with the time to perform the Risk  Assessment, obtain certificates of Competentcy, identify the species, erect the necessary safety notices and obtain suitable personal protection equipment etc., you would not have time to open a seed packet, let alone plant it.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

argali

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 09:18:53 »
Don't even go there! Its a can of worms. Be so careful in what you wish for. The thought of what could develop from this would be enough to start the revolution.
What with the time to perform the Risk  Assessment, obtain certificates of Competentcy, identify the species, erect the necessary safety notices and obtain suitable personal protection equipment etc., you would not have time to open a seed packet, let alone plant it.

Yh
No one employs us, so why would those rules apply?

HSE advice for gardeners here
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/user-areas/garden-home.htm

Hi Thanks for this link. I had not found that when I was searching for info specifically on COSHH.
What with the time to perform the Risk  Assessment, obtain certificates of Competentcy, identify the species, erect thheers e necessary safety notices and obtain suitable personal protection equipment etc., you would not have time to open a seed packet, let alone plant it.

Cheers for the advice. I am very concerned about the proposed requirement for a COSHH policy.

There is no reference to health and safety or use of hazardous materials on the current agreement each plot holder has with the landlord.

I was hoping that there might be an association out there which is required to submit one and that they could give guidance. I don't think for a moment that the landlord ( the county council ) would require us to be fully responsible for implementing and monitoring a full health and safety regime for the all plots. Possibly just a bland " All chemicals, fertilizers etc should be used and stored according to manufactures instructions."

Paul.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:51:49 »
All chemicals, fertilizers etc should be used and stored according to manufactures instructions."

As they say up here in Yorkshire there is "nout  funnier than folks" and for this reason that is why you will get the "bland reply" as it is a blanket rule  that says it all, and this puts the onus on each plot holder rather than the landlord or manufacturer!

So if in doubt let "common sense" prevail, read all the instructions and do what you see fit, after all this is why there have been so many campaigns in the past to get better information on packaging!

So basically I agree with the other comments!....Tg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal