Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 1948 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Pumpkins
« on: October 28, 2017, 13:25:15 »
I've got a lovely big pumpkin to use. Don't want to make a US style pumpkin pie. I'm going to roast the seeds, after savig a few for next year. What are your favourite recipes for the flesh?
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 15:50:50 »
Soup, curries, baked with sausages and red onions and fresh herbs or chili and a drizzle of oil.........;
Obxx - Vendée France

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 17:07:37 »
*Disclaimer ... this post is not helpful in any way*

I have to say that mine makes an excellent compost!  I just enjoy them for their ornamental value, carving and maybe the seeds if it's the right variety.  I would only really consider it as food if there was absolutely nothing else to eat.  There are so many more really nice tasting squash varieties out there.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 17:18:16 »
A lot depends on the variety.  If the flesh is moist it helps to roast it first to caramelise the sugars and reduce moisture.  Gives a better flavour to soups.

If it's a dry flesh then it just needs a good stock to make soup but wouldn't be good roasted on its own as a veg.  Maybe a curry with a coconut milk sauce?

Plenty of recipes online if you google.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 20:45:59 »
I quite like pumpkin,  I simply fried it in a little oil and butter until it is soft.  And add some herbs or pepper or ginger or mixed spice.  I normally buy a supermarket one, when they reduce them after Halloween, but they were only £1 for a large on in Asda.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:32 »
We love pumpkin soup at this time of year. Add a little cumin and chilli flakes to add flavour and it makes a lovely lunch with fresh bread.   Enjoy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal