Author Topic: frost proving  (Read 1956 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
frost proving
« on: October 25, 2017, 18:48:37 »
 i moved all my fuchsias and geraniums  in to the green house  (Beautiful weather in Cornwall to day ) they still  flowering so I left the flowers and never cut them down, stored still in their pots which made it easier and left enough air flow room around them  when should I cut them down or should I leave them and just keep cleaning the dead growth away planted mostly in pots this year to make things easier Also the begonias have grown huge  their in the ground  should I dig up pot on and store  or will they stay safe in the ground  ? I haven't much in pots for years had a vine weevil trouble so avoided pots   and when I spray for those ?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: frost proving
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 15:26:13 »
I would dig any begonias up to dry and store, they get vine weevil just as much in open ground as they do  in pots. I normally give the plants a good drink of vine weevil killer once they start to flower. I am leaving  my fuchsias until we gat a frost then I will cut them back hard. We all have our own ways of doing things.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 17:15:28 »
Sorry I should have said  the begonias  are the fibre rooted ones and   not the  corm type

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 16:29:30 »
I live in Cornwall and just leave fuchsias and begonias where they are. The fuchsias are mostly from local cuttings and grow on my Cornish hedge without any harm in the winter. I grow pelargoniums in pots and put them in the greenhouse for the winter, geraniums just stay happily outside.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal