Author Topic: Out with the old in with the new  (Read 1739 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Out with the old in with the new
« on: October 25, 2017, 16:27:29 »
Hi All

I have been a bit busy this month rearranging my future!

Well as you may know I have been cutting back on my allotments e.g Four years ago I swapped a full plot for a half plot but after two years I cut back again and only cultivated half of it, I allowed another plot holder to cultivate the other half of it.

Well I have now handed in my notice for this plot so at the end of the year I will only have one plot.

Next year I guess it will be quite strange only working one plot considering I have been working two plots on this site since 1989.

I had
Plot 6 for 13 years
Plot 7 for 4years
Plot 19 for 4 years (This is the one I am giving up)
Plot 20 for 23 years (This the plot I am keeping)
Plot 21 f0r 12 years

As you see I have moved around a bit over the years!

Meanwhile I have been altering my garden at home to cater for when I will finally give up my last plot, although I am not sure when that will be.

I think I will play this from year to year for the time being!

Might go for another two years and that will mean I will have had Plot 20 for 25 years and been on the site for 30 years, we'll see!

In the mean time here are a few things I have been doing in a part of my garden at home;

This is as it was:

I have now removed my coldframe and replaced it with this:

This is an 8x6 Greenhouse I have moved up from one of my Allotments!

Inside I have chosen to have a paved floor rather than the soil borders I had on the allotment as I plan to go 100% Ring Culture!

I can get 14 Rings on the go at one time so all set for half a dozen Tomatoes,Half a dozen Peppers and a couple of Cucumbers which should cater for me and t'other half!

Through winter and spring it will replace the coldframe I have dispensed with as you can see here:

This arrangement will take 24 standard 14x8 trays which should be sufficient to cater for my one allotment!

In summer I will just remove the shelving behind the pots and voila I have my greenhouse back!

There is a ¼" hole drilled into the top of each ring so that I can fix one end of a vertical wire/s  into and fix the other end to an overhead wire.

This means I won't need canes to grow my tomatoes and cucumbers up as these will be tied into the vertical wires.

Over the last couple of years I have been testing out what I can put in the other two coldframes I have and I have found with successional sowing I can keep my self supplied with lettuce,spring onions,Radishes & carrots to go with my tomato,pepper & cucumber crop in the 8x6 ...so should be OK for summer salads!

So I think I am pretty much set up for my retirement from Allotments!

What do you think?

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
Re: Out with the old in with the new
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 17:25:35 »
Sounds good to me.  :coffee2:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 18:06:01 »
Looks good too.
Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 18:44:33 »
Enjoy your "retirement"- it still looks like hard work to me!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 18:53:52 »
What compost do you use in those pots for your tomatoes and cucumbers, TeeGee?  I usually use planter compost in mine but it can work out rather expensive.  Is there a cheaper alternative?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 20:13:01 »
I have read this with interest. We will loose our site to a housing development and myself and OH have decided we will not move to another allotment site. I have a green house in the garden which we will keep. I have decided to grow a few veg in the kitchen garden way of Geoff Hamilton in our back garden. I also plan to have four small raised beds one will be for strawberries, salad veg, root veg and maybe one for brassicas. It hasn’t happened yet but I often think about it because it will happen.
Life changes so I will change with it !!

Duke 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 20:28:05 »
This is my system.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Ring%20Culture/Ring%20Culture.htm

With the set up shown above (14 rings) I will probably use up to two 70 litre bags of multi- purpose compost and about half that in home made compost or rotted manure.

Another method I have used is; I never throw away used compost  so I sieve  out old root systems  and add some general slow release fertiliser to it.

Plus I have also been known to use 50-50 new compost and old.

Basically all you need is any growing medium.

I say this because you will be feeding the rings manually during the season, much more than you might do in natural borders or beds.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 16:17:36 »
Thanks TeeGee for some very useful information.

I need to grow my tomatoes in new compost next year as I had blight this year so I will use multi purpose compost instead of buying planter bags as they are half the price.  I use my spent compost for seeds and seedlings and perhaps top up my raised beds with it, but will need to avoid using it for tomatoes because of the blight.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 16:50:43 »
but will need to avoid using it for tomatoes because of the blight.

Yes I forgot to mention that I use second hand compost provided it has not been in contact with diseased plants.

More often than not I use my seed compost after I have pricked out my seedlings into potting compost, as this is usually reasonably sterile!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal