Author Topic: strawberries  (Read 1427 times)

ACE

• Hectare
strawberries
« on: October 22, 2017, 14:35:26 »
I dug up all the old plants after the fruit stopped and made a new bed from the runners. Having been away for a few weeks I am starting to tidy up now for the winter. Weeded the new strawberry bed and found loads of green fruit, I cut them all off and deflowered a load more. I would rather the plants to be making roots than wasting energy on fruiting. I did also cut off loads of older leaves just leaving the juvenile ones, mainly to mark where the plants are so I whip around with the hoe now and again. Should I just let them hibernate now or should I give them a feed? They all had some chicken pellets when I planted the bed out but that was about 3 months ago. Everything else is also growing like it is spring, small tomato and potato plants, beans that have dropped, even a courgette, spring sprouting broccoli is in full swing and tons of annual weeds. Could do with a cold snap really.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: strawberries
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 16:44:19 »
I would leave them for now and feed at the beginning of next season, they could put too much leafy growth on that would get damaged by harsh frosts.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: strawberries
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 16:46:46 »
the new strawberry bed and found loads of green fruit, I cut them all off and deflowered a load more. I would rather the plants to be making roots than wasting energy on fruiting.

What Variety are they, I ask because  some varieties can fruit very late in the season e.g I have plants in fruit now!
Don't know the variety as I inherited them with the plot!

I did also cut off loads of older leaves just leaving the juvenile ones, mainly to mark where the plants are so I whip around with the hoe now and again. Should I just let them hibernate now or should I give them a feed?

I don't cut my plants down until spring, I  let the old leaves protect the root system.

I wouldn't feed them as this may encourage new growth which might be damaged by frosts.

Let them hibernate rather than grow!

Everything else is also growing like it is spring, small tomato and potato plants, beans that have dropped, even a courgette, spring sprouting broccoli is in full swing and tons of annual weeds.

Just another affect of this crazy mixed up weather! :BangHead:

Could do with a cold snap really.

Most Certainly!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal