Author Topic: Stupid garden centres  (Read 2682 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Stupid garden centres
« on: October 21, 2017, 13:07:29 »
Went out for the onion sets and broad beans today. Mole Valley garden stuff cleared for Halloween, posh garden centre dressed out for xmas. An old sign the  hedge saying 'plants for sale' loose onions, beans by the pint and some interesting seed garlic. So red onions got, white onions got, shallots got, aquadulce got and 3 big garlic got. Too much of everything as usual and change from a fiver. Why don't they leave Halloween to the pound shop and at least wait until the end of nov. for xmas.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Stupid garden centres
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 16:26:51 »
Our garden centre is more like a shopping Mall:  Mountain warehouse, The Works, Fashion shop, Pet store, Tropical Fish. Specialty foods,  Xmas.  Halloween, Café.  And there may be a few plants and bulbs on offer!!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 17:57:06 »
I think I know the one you mean Digeroo  :BangHead: :BangHead: I don't know why some of them still call themselves garden centres - there's far more overpriced chinese tat and scented candles than anything to do with real gardening!

If you're ever passing by or through Wantage ... there's still a real one called Charlton Park Garden Centre ... they sell a huge range of seeds including peas and beans by the pint and they have hundreds of varieties of potatoes ... good range of tools and accessories and have very little of the gift shop sh*** found in most places.  Very refreshing to visit.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:22:21 »
Same here.  I went out to http://www.polhill.co.uk which is massive but not really a garden center - it does sell plants, seeds and other garden related stuff but you can also buy a fireplace, have a meal, get a mobility scooter, buy a nice jumper, get a leg of lamb and is just about to turn over half of the place to tinselly christmas crap.  I couldn't actually find any onion sets or garlic so I went back to our wonderful local shop.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:36 »
Oh yes, I forgot the scented candles!!  And plastic xmas trees, and breakfast with Father Xmas.  It does have some seeds and onion sets.  Onions and garlic but both expensive.

Wantage is not that far.  I can park up in Faringdon and take the bus and save on petrol.  What I really like are loose onion sets, I do not want all the same variety. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 09:14:33 »
Unfortunately the  "garden centre" has become a 'sheeple shearing ' centre ,abusing planning law by resting on the back of exemptions made to plant growers and requiring the goods for sale to have been grown on site. However , they seem popular with those incapable of growing their own.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 18:12:28 »
If you're ever passing by or through Wantage ... there's still a real one called Charlton Park Garden Centre ... they sell a huge range of seeds including peas and beans by the pint and they have hundreds of varieties of potatoes ... good range of tools and accessories and have very little of the gift shop sh*** found in most places.  Very refreshing to visit.

Ah yes, we buy our spuds there every year - it's nice to be able to buy them in penny packets, and try out a bunch of varieties. Don't get talking to the boss man about spuds, though - you may find yourself leaving with him at closing time!

Probably the only reason we don't go there more is we are just down the road from Bunkers Hill which really is an old fashioned plant nursery - it does sell other stuff, containers, flowers, bird seed etc, but 90% of its business is plants. I can't imagine it turning into a Christmas emporium somehow.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 19:14:26 »
Bunkers Hill is a brilliant place ... it's where I get a lot of plants and also they stock the Sylvagrow peat free compost which works just as well as any peat-based one.  I'm almost a year without using any peat and it feels good.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 21:00:08 »
Ooh, I may have to try that - I gave up on peat free a few years ago after the batch that appeared to have been made from recycled Leylandii. Thank you for the pointer!

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 23:23:16 »
Good luck ... Sylvagrow has been a game changer for me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal