Author Topic: 'I'm alright Jack' attitudes  (Read 3436 times)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
'I'm alright Jack' attitudes
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:16:19 »
I'm fairly easy-going and friendly towards other  plot holders on my allotment site.  I took it over about a year ago and have just finished harvesting my first year's crops here.  There are two adjoining plots - one was taken over in the spring and the other has just found a new gardener to tend it.   Both the newcomer and I now seem to be suffering from an 'I'm alright Jack' neighbour.  He never speaks but he does glare at anyone who speaks to him.  It doesn't bother me - I served part of my army service as a drill sergeant so I can glare with the best of them.  The latest-comer, however, is a young lady on her first plot and she gets nervous.  In addition, our neighbour thinks nothing of blocking the paths with tools which he leaves out for days at a time and which we have to move if we want to barrow manure from the communal muck-heap  He is supposed to refill the water-trough the three plots share but never does, leaving it to me to refill it for him.  Last but not least, he feels free to help himself to my fruit and veg.  I caught him at it twice and others have also suffered.  Compalints have been made but so far to no avail.  I never saw anything like it on my previous site.

Has anyone else suffered from this sort of behaviour and what can the allotment association do about it?

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: 'I'm alright Jack' attitudes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:46:13 »
He should be booted out immediately for theft, full stop, no ifs and buts. It's theft, he's out.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 13:04:20 »
Same on our plots , theft is a huge no no also creating nuisance, instant termination of contract.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 13:53:36 »
That's so depressing.  Inform the committee in writing and request a receipt and saying you expect action against such behaviour and thieving.

If that doesn't produce the desired result, write again to express your dismay and disapproval and go over their heads to the land owner/council department and report it to the police.
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 14:02:01 »
It depends how dynamic/active your committee is whether they will be prepared to confront the problem plot-holder.
If they do nothing, although the problem has been reported to them, more than once, you'll have to talk to the Council, as has already been posted.

Good luck!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 17:47:14 »
There is a huge difference between being a bit grumpy / unhelpful and stealing

If it was only the former I feel you would have to put up with it. But stealing is a different thing entirely. Totally unacceptable. Report the thefts and request the committee evict this tenant. It may seem harsh but it will actually make things better for all the other honest tenants on the site. You do not have to tolerate this sort of behaviour.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 18:24:45 »
Hi Borders1951.

This is likely to turn out to be a very difficult problem to resolve. Find out what the agreement is between tenant/owner/committee and see if there is any action that the committee should carry out  Does anyone know why he is so uncommunicative?

I would suggest that you then send an incident report to the committee.  Tell them when it happened, what was said and what happened to the produce taken (i.e. did he throw it down or did he take it away).  If it happened a second time give them those details as well.  Say that you need the committee to do something about it.

On another note you might wish to mention that you think that the neighbour is also broaching on "bullying" you and the other newcomer by making it very difficult for either of you to enjoy your pleasure time at the allotments without feeling upset or embarrassed.  I wish you luck with this.

regards
Bill

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 07:36:40 »
One of the problems of theft is proof.  Witnesses?  Photos?  Can you mark your crops?  I found marking bean cans can be very interesting.  I use morse code: a set of dots and dashes are not spottable.   Pieces cut out of rhubarb leaves so you can spot them being discarded.  And then there is anti theft powder. 

Having a tealeaf on site as I know is very annoying.   

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 08:41:41 »
Alternatively hiding a dirty great mantrap hidden among your most desirable crops would also work.  I reckon a large bit of spiky metal clamped to his arm or leg would be fairly hard evidence!

Of course it would also be evidence against you for putting it there in the first place ... so I wouldn't ever suggest such a thing ...

picman

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 08:59:12 »
Whoever runs the site should be informed in writing of unsocial / inappropriate  behaviour an this should be an immediate termination of tenancy. Most associations have such a rule , if not they should have , propose it at your AGM...

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 23:00:40 »
At first I would suggest having a word in the ear with the allotment committee chairman or secretary. They may have already had complaints about him from other users. They can keep an eye out and have the authority to warn him or even, if necessary, evict him from the plot.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 18:08:06 »
This is difficult.  I am our committee and I understand how these things can turn out.

Being grumpy or unsocial is not an issue for the committee.  Not everyone wants to chat, gossip, banter, blather or otherwise while away the day in social interaction.  That's fine and there should be no rules against that.

Bullying and theft are entirely different but the rub is that it always seems to come down to one word against another.
We have had issues like this though thankfully not many - people come to us with accusations of theft or "borrowings", sometimes second hand.  "X saw Y taking my plums" and we are expected to act on this.  Rightly so in many ways but it is a really tricky thing when there is no evidence - we can't just chuck someone off the site when someone levels this sort of accusation esp if there is some history there.  So what we do firstly is to reiterate the rules to everyone via a notice board or email - underlining the point that "helping yourself" is effectively theft and will result in an instant termination.  This seems generally to do the trick at least for a while.  It may seem a bit weak but what can you do?  Obviously if lots of people see it happening or there is some actual evidence then that is a different matter and he should be kicked off by the committee after due process.

However I would note every incident and let the committee know.  Make notes of times etc and report every single incident.
If you have actually caught him on your plot then get a pic of him preferably with some of your veg.  Try to get some decent evidence - difficult to do though.  Get pics of his tools on the paths, maybe even remove them for "safekeeping!

What did you do when you found him taking your stuff?

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 18:25:48 »
The problem is solved.  The culprit was caught red-handed, photographed and been given the elbow.  Peace reigns on the site again.  Many thanks to all who posted thoughts and advice.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 21:51:55 »
The problem is solved.  The culprit was caught red-handed, photographed and been given the elbow.  Peace reigns on the site again.  Many thanks to all who posted thoughts and advice.

And doubtless on an allotment waiting list right now! Doh!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 21:58:44 »
One great advantage of modern life is that if you have a mobile phone with you, then you almost certainly have a pretty good camera with you too! I always keep mine handy just in case.

As for your evicted tenant. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Get back to enjoying your allotment to the full!

Cheers
Not mad, just out to mulch!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal