Author Topic: Brusseis Sprouts  (Read 2074 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Brusseis Sprouts
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:38:07 »
Each year I grow some Brussel sprouts for many years I grew Peer Gynt which was very good and did all I wanted. We used to pick in September for the big Tunbridge Wells show and yet picked from the same plants in March when doing a veg talk. They took that variety away for some reason and so have had to try others, the one I have grown this year and just started to pick is Dimitri ,I took a photo this morning and will try again much later in the season.[img][img]

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: Brusseis Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 14:43:28 »
Looks good Laurie.  Mine are all covered in black mould from the whitefly. the sprouts are fine once the outer leaves are peeled off, but yours looks lovely and clean! Any secrets?
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 14:52:08 »
Hi Pescador,
No secrets I have some whitefly but not too much to be any trouble.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 17:57:55 »
They do look nice and fat!  May have to try some of them next year as mine all seem to be a bit late...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:55:45 »
I never pick sprouts till after a frost because " it sweetens them."
Is that an old wives tale? Maybe frost came earlier than today?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:44:13 »
If we had to wait for a good frost we would be rather late picking. I have never noticed any difference but then that is me , we ae all different.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:16 »
If you really believe that, then why not stick them in the freezer for a couple of hours?
If they're an early maturing variety, they're not going to see much frost in UK climate!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 13:33:48 »
If you really believe that, then why not stick them in the freezer for a couple of hours?
If they're an early maturing variety, they're not going to see much frost in UK climate!

We haven't had a freezer winter since 2010/11 - it will turn them to mush.

If the old wives' tale is true then it could be how the plant responds to a few degrees of frost - any sugar is likely to come from the plant's reserves - after all most brassicas are happy to be perennial - they just get doddery like us - but without the useful wisdom that is the only thing stopping us becoming Soylent Green...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal