Author Topic: Turning over comport  (Read 2285 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
Turning over comport
« on: October 20, 2017, 16:29:21 »
Does anyone have a good idea about how to mix/turn over/ aerate compost in a plastic Dalek type comport bin?
I would like to improve my compost skills but according to the compost recipe compost should be mixed!
All suggestions welcome!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Turning over comport
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 18:12:10 »
Get two and dig one out into the other!  But then you fill two up and need a third.
You can get devices to aerate compost - https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-99137.html
However I rarely bother - as long as you have a decent mix of materials in your bin it will work, maybe a bit slower but you'll still get compost.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 19:00:16 »
You dont need to buy a second, just lift it up and reset to the left (or right if cack-handed) Refill, from the top of the heap , becomes the bottom. You may find adding water, or extra green/browns, or lime enables  it to re-heat.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:25:33 »
I do not bother.  I take the finished stuff from the bottom and simply add more to the top.  Or just start another one.  Once a year I empty whatever there is left into a bean trench or courgette pile.  They do not seem to mind what they get.  Though I never put perennial weeds in, the stingers go into the water butt.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:43:48 »
I agree with Digeroo I have been a pro gardener since I was 17 and now 86 and have turned compost once, I found it b...... hard work and have not bothered since. I just take out from the bottom. When I was working full time I used a surround of wire netting now I only have an allotment and use a Dalek type container.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 13:02:32 »
you could put some cardboard egg boxes in the mix their shape holds air then  release it as they rot down i have  around a dozen  plastic compost bins and never turn them all seems to work well
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 16:43:53 »
Thank you for all your suggestions.  I think I’ll go for the put the top at the bottom method.  And I really like the idea of egg boxes. I’ll give it a go.  I have lots of red compost worms so I must be doing something right!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 17:24:54 »
Those red brandlings are worthy of preservation. If you put a suitable layer of wet hay or similar,into which they can migrate,  they can be transferred to another bin. Never spread compost containing them, if they are still present, the compost is not 'done' and needs longer(and/ or turning!). They serve no purpose in your beds; they do not 'grow -up' to be earthworms! The more you have in the compost bin, the quicker its done.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal