Author Topic: If you were only buying one no-dig book..  (Read 2151 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
If you were only buying one no-dig book..
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:35 »
by Charles Dowding, which one would you buy? Had a look and it seems that there are quite a few, whereas I wouldn't have thought there was that much new to say after one or two...?

Thanks

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: If you were only buying one no-dig book..
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:57:11 »
Lots of good youtube videos as well. :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:12:07 »
Well it would depend upon one's previous experience and knowledge. From the current range of 10
https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/product-category/books/
1 is shown as "out of print".
If new to the topic, there are 'starter' books, and for those already green-fingered, conversion books to the "no-dig" concept.
Personally I have "Winter vegs" and "Salads for all seasons" ;which are by definition, overlapping but both useful.
Together with the You tube index, Charles' website and blog, the website Forum any matters can be researched. It is worth the time and the (relatively) small amount of money. Selected books and the Diary would make excellent Christmas gifts for any gardener, theres plenty to learn!!

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:48:14 »
I agree with Ancellsfarmer. If I really had to choose one, it would be Winter Vegetables, but Salad Leaves is a goody, as is Organic Gardening (I have the first edition). All the books, to me, are most useful for the timings and plant suggestions. As Ancells says, there is a lot of nodig advice and videos available on his website .

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:17:32 »
I think Charles Dowding is my new personal hero! I have watched some of his videos and have ordered the original book, on organic no-dig. I have vowed that starting in the new season I will go no dig, and we have started a huge horse manure compost pile for just that. My bf has a fragile back and so I want to spare him digging in our clay soil. Also, if I have results anywhere near what CD gets, I will be chuffed. I don't want to do raised beds with wood though, just heaped sections of plot made from compost and grow the veg really close together (which I have already seen works much better than very spaced out plantings).  I don't have a greenhouse but I am going to try at least to get a little cold frame going so I can start off a few trays of lettuce, onion, beets etc a few weeks in advance. He has one propped up on a manure hotbed, which I would love to try!
I have been doing what he recommends with salads, like, not cutting the lettuce but just picking leaves and I have been nursing along some lovely green stuff (lettuce, rocket, mizuna) for several weeks.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 18:17:14 »
I am not sure no dig is much less effort.  You do need large amounts of biomatter and moving that is quite a feat.

I tried a manure hotbed but managed to get it too hot and cook things.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 14:12:42 »
Well, on recommendations here, I didn't stick with one book! I brought the winter vegetables one and the non-dig course one. Need all the help I can get with my new allotment - really totally overrun with perennial weeds. I really do have to think long term with this one. I have posted in another thread (starting anew) asking for any advice on how well black weed membrane copes with different perennial weeds. Any and all advice gratefully received!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal