Author Topic: sweet pea sowing  (Read 6057 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
sweet pea sowing
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:53:52 »
If I remember rightly Laurieuk says today is the day to sow sweet peas. This year, again following Laurie, I am using root trainers for the first time. My questions are how many seeds to sow in each trainer and any thoughts on the compost?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: sweet pea sowing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:24:12 »
I use loo roll centres as I can't get root trainers here.  One seed per station pushed down to my first index finger knuckle.  Seed compost, though here taht's a relative term too as they sell the same stuff for cuttings and plants in pots.   

The main thing is to keep them safe form rodents and moist enough to germinate and grow but not rot.  When they are a few inches high, pinch out and keep them in a sheltered place over winter.   Keep some seeds for spring sowing in case winter is a stinker.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:36:59 »
I tend to do a variation on Laurie's & Obelixx's method as you can see here:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Lathyrus/Lathyrus.htm

I find spring sowing works better for me and it also  means I have around three months less care and attention to give them.

You could always try both methods and see what works best for you!

Re-Compost & Seeds sowing.

Any proprietary seed compost and one seed per cell.

Quite often rather than buying specific seed compost I use multipurpose compost mixed with silver sand, (sharp sand will also be OK.)

I mix in the proportions of around 50% of each by volume.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 13:35:27 »
Thanks for the link TeeGee; I have bookmarked it. I have grown sweet peas for a few years but, like cooking, it's always advisable to check the recipe to get it right. I have a permanent site for them now and the link reminded me to dig in some manure so now that's on my list.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 13:35:56 »
Early Spring sowing works better for me, as well

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 16:05:39 »
Sorry "plotsoeat" but you are one day early I am already to sow tomorrow, the 8th October, I sow 10 seeds in a half 5 inch pot, I water once and not again until they are all up. Once they are all clear I single them out  into root trainers or single 3" inch pots. I use general purpose compost, I find if I sow them in individual pots they tend to be too  wet and nothing is worse for them than too much water. Due to a very strong wind and a lot of pollen beetle I lost the cup this year but at least the chairman said he had waited 30 years to win it , so I must try harder this year.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 16:07:54 by laurieuk »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 18:29:19 »
im a spring man myself as with tg less to look after
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 18:41:15 »
Sorry "plotsoeat" but you are one day early I am already to sow tomorrow, the 8th October, I sow 10 seeds in a half 5 inch pot, I water once and not again until they are all up. Once they are all clear I single them out  into root trainers or single 3" inch pots. I use general purpose compost, I find if I sow them in individual pots they tend to be too  wet and nothing is worse for them than too much water. Due to a very strong wind and a lot of pollen beetle I lost the cup this year but at least the chairman said he had waited 30 years to win it , so I must try harder this year.
Thanks for that advice Laurie. I will do the same tomorrow. Sorry you lost out this year but its good to give the otherss a chance now and again. I am not trying to win any prizes , just for the home. I save my own seed and like to sow now while the seeds are at their freshest. Good luck for next year

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 08:05:54 »
I had some great overwinter ones a few years ago but since then the mice have found them every time.   They are just getting going nicely and nibble they are gone.   I haven't found a way to keep the mice out but let water in.   However my over winter broad beans are so far looking good. 

But if today is the day I will try a few.  Thanks Laurie.   

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 08:44:42 »
I wrap small size chicken netting all around my SP pots allowing a bit of room at the top for some growth.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 10:36:00 »
Sweet peas sown to day ,with mouse traps set and onion bed prepared with garlic powder.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 20:17:11 »
I have never come across mice problems in my greenhouse but plenty in the garage attached to the house. They have nibbled my apples and pears. My greenhouse staging is all metal so maybe too slippery.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 12:37:39 »
First signs of seed germinating showing today, 7 days from sowing, I have had to use a few slug pellets as I found up to 3 slugs each day in the pots.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 17:39:32 »
First signs of seed germinating showing today, 7 days from sowing,

Isn't this a great feeling? Signs of what has yet to come is one of my favourite sights every year.

I have had to use a few slug pellets as I found up to 3 slugs each day in the pots.

Well as my seed are still in the packet I don't have that problem....or have I ?

I have a night time routine as I go to bed and that is to ensure that all the doors are locked, but this year I have had another chore and that is:.....picking up slugs in my Kitchen and Conservatory. :BangHead:

Over the space of a week I have been known to pick up and flush down the toilet anything from 1-3 slugs a night.

Wet nights are the worst!

I have no idea on how they get in I have looked everywhere and can't find any obvious entry points other than under the conservatory door which  is well draught proofed. ???????

In the case of the kitchen I have no idea as there is no direct access to the outside of the house from it.

Occasionally they get into the bathroom as well.

My only thought is they are getting in the air vent that ventilates the underfloor then getting up through a bad fitting floorboard but as I have said....I can't find one!

The mind boggles.....anyone else affected in this way?

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 18:02:34 »

I have no idea on how they get in I have looked everywhere and can't find any obvious entry points other than under the conservatory door which  is well draught proofed. ???????

The mind boggles.....anyone else affected in this way?

I had this problem many (many) years ago living in a student house in Newcastle with the same issue.  The solution I devised (we had a lot of thinking time on our hands) was to put a line/semicircle of salt across/around the suspect entry point- a bit messy but a good telltale to indicate where the slugs were getting in (in the case of invaders on the floor anyway)...

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 15:18:46 »
Coming on quite well several pots with 10 out of 10 germination , nine days after sowing.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 14:43:46 »
I singled the seedlings out into root trainers today, 51 from 50 seeds ordered, they always give you a few spare. They  are rather drawn due to the lack of daylight that I can give them but usually them break on their own and have a good root system . I have sprinkledof slugs around . a few slug pellets around them as the weather is mild and there are

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 21:01:37 »
I singled the seedlings out into root trainers today, 51 from 50 seeds ordered, they always give you a few spare. They  are rather drawn due to the lack of daylight that I can give them but usually them break on their own and have a good root system . I have sprinkledof slugs around . a few slug pellets around them as the weather is mild and there are
I did mine a few days ago. Some of the roots were almost too long to transplant. Didn't get 100 % germination. A few leaves on today. Will you nip the tops out at some stage Laurie?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 15:18:38 »
Usually with an early sowing I find they  break on their own, so I do not normally bother.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 18:28:06 »
I’m normally an autumn sower, but I’m doing spring sowings this time, I need my greenhouse to become my shed for the winter as I’m going to pull my shed down over the winter and get a new one.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal