Author Topic: Cucamelon : Curious observation of tuber like roots  (Read 1801 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Cucamelon : Curious observation of tuber like roots
« on: October 06, 2017, 18:31:16 »
I was clearing some of my plot earlier today, and reached the bit where I had grown a few cucamelons. This was the first time I'd grown these.

Forking through the ground to clear weed roots I discovered several large tuber like roots shaped a bit like dahlia tubers but bigger and almost white, looking rather like several "white icicle" radish joined at the centre. This came as a complete surprise.

Given the size of the roots the plants had clearly been storing energy in these swollen tubers.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know if in a mild part of the country, and protected from frost under a good mulch, these might regrow in the spring, gaining a headstart on plants grown from seed?

Cheers
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Cucamelon : Curious observation of tuber like roots
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 19:33:02 »
Apparently yes. :happy7:

http://www.underwoodgardens.com/overwintering-cucamelons/

This site is  based in Arizona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZn4PAka9lY

An irish voice methinks.

Give it a go. Nothing ventured and all that. :happy7:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 20:32:28 »
Apparently yes. :happy7:

Thanks for the link. I love serendipity!

Cheers
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 13:31:53 »
I've read about how vigorous cucamelons are, but their ability to overwinter like dahlias makes me wonder if they would be a good rootstock for cucumbers...

Do they have any problems? (other than blandness).

I ask because an all-female F1 cucumber plant is as cheap to buy in April as a single seed of the same variety would have been - and I'd have difficulty matching their size, maturity and general health by growing my own from seed.  I'd be very interested to know if your overwintered cucamelons have strong shoots in April??           

Sharkfin/Malabar gourd (C.ficifolia) seedlings are an excellent rootstock, and will keep cucumbers fruiting well into October even in a year like 2017 where ungrafted plants failed after 2 fruits each at best - but the mismatch in stem size is a problem for me.

I'd like to take say, 3 grafts from one valued cucumber onto 3 separate rootstock seedlings, but unfortunately I've never got more than one to work.

(Admittedly my grafting skills are at least half the problem - my lifetime success rate across all fruit & veg is maybe 25%).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal