Author Topic: Gone  (Read 2272 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Gone
« on: October 04, 2017, 17:01:30 »
Came back from hols last week and still had six pears.  It has taken four years for the tree to finally fruit.  It has have every care, water, fertiliser, manure, stinging nettle tea for the aphids etc etc. 

But today they have done, vanished,  no sign.

I am gutted.  I personally do not like them, but my OH does.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Gone
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 17:06:38 »
Tea-leaved!   Frustrating.
Obxx - Vendée France

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 19:49:43 »
I had my whole tree stripped a few years back, must have been 100 plus pears on it one day and the next not a one.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:38:38 »
That is horrible and upsetting.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:47:07 »
Yes, and why take from a tree that only has a few.  If somebody helps themselves to windfalls from a tree that is laden (especially if they ask first), then nobody would mind, but from a tree that has obviously just come into bearing, that's doubly cruel.   :BangHead:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:28:16 »
Hi Ya, it seems to be on the increase this pilfering. The fellow on the plot next to me said about his fruit going missing and that made me think as I thought there was more fruit on my tres than was seen. There are several on our site who have had stuff pinched from a whole row of broccoli to even having their spuds lifted. One occurence was at 1/2 1 in the morning and people were seen with torches on site by a person in houses opposite the site. I have also witnessed some on site with plots helping themselves to other peoples produce. I thought they had been allowed till the person who had the plot told me he was disappointed with the yield that year. To late for me to say any thing. Some leave the gates open which to me is an open invite to all and sundry and with council cutting plots in half you don't know half the people on site so you don't know if it's friend or foe. We have several different cultures on site which makes it more interesting on how they do things but the voices heard on site at night the spuds and strawberries went missing were foreign apparently. There is talk of individuals putting in cameras as they loose so much and not all taken by those with no plots. Annoying but some its a sign of the times as a lot have no care or respect for others.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:00 »
Actually I have seen less problem this year.  I planted a row of purple sprouting and every other one went.  They were too close but that was my choice.
But looking around there is a dug patch of soil next to my rhubarb.  Last year my stock bridge arrow disappeared.  They might have though I had an excess of rhubarb but they are different varieties.  This year I protected my rhubarb with anti theft powder and it has worked wonders.  Pity I did not use it on the pears.
I also have an unusual pink raspberry and it is always interesting to see where that pops up.

Last year I lost a type of courgette for which the seeds are no longer available in the UK.  When the plants disappeared it was interesting to see where that appeared.   

I am still reeling from the loss of all my strawberries 18 months ago.  It is taking quite a time and money to replace them.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 09:10:32 »
I am so sorry to hear that your pears have been taken, Digeroo. 

A few years ago, before we went on holiday, we told a neighbour to help herself to some pears.  When we came home, the whole lot had gone.  The tree was absolutely loaded beforehand too.

I now get the opposite problem.  Another neighbour comes to water our plants when we are away and I always tell her to help herself to produce, especially courgettes.  However, she never does and I always come home to find I have large marrows.   

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:41:38 »
So sad for you :(  I had all my plums taken ....  :(  .....so I know how it feels ...   :coffee2:  Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 13:15:09 »
Anti theft powder?
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 14:55:10 »
I give lots of produce away on the plot particularly to plot holders who try but for one reason or another do not seem to do too well. I never give to those who do not try and NEVER tell anyone to help themselves it is a fatal mistake. Time and again I have heard one person or another complain that they had told so and so to help themselves and they had stripped the plot.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:46 »
Our problem is that our plots have no protection.  It is private land but people wander through.   I believed that one plot holder only had his plot so they could raid other more successful plots.    But actually things have been a lot better recently.  I did buy a cheap camera but the movement sensing was too sensitive, so I ended up with videos of vegetables waving in the wind.  I am trying to find a way to set it up pointing upwards.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal