Author Topic: Over winter ?  (Read 1808 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Over winter ?
« on: September 29, 2017, 21:27:34 »
First year on allotment and put half of it to potatoes as I wasn't able to spend much time on it .
Potatoes are dug up and wondering if I can plant anything in now for over winter? Recommendations?
Bring back Spotty Dog........

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Over winter ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 22:26:49 »
Hi

Broad Beans, onion sets, garlic, spring cabbage plants

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 23:02:53 »
To be realistic, things don't grow vigorously over winter, as there is too little warmth and daylight.

Mostly the aim is to get things well established before it gets too cold in order to get off to a flying start in the early spring. You could try broad beans, some over winter type onion sets, garlic, and you may still have enough time to get some spring cabbage out. Alas you are too late for anything like sprouting broccoli as this needs to be pretty much full grown by now. And the scope is a bit wider if you own a few cloches.

Although I grow spring cabbage and sprouter that is about all. I am not a big fan of over wintering crops. I am excluding things like  leeks, parsnips, brussels, etc that have already done most of their  growing but are tough enough to stand until needed. Just a matter of personal preferences I suppose. But there are lots of highly experienced growers who will offer good advice on this topic.

Alternatively, you could try some green manure. Now I am a fan of this approach. This will suppress weeds, stop nutrients leeching out of the soil, and some types will even boost nitrogen. It also makes it easier to clear and prepare the plot at the start of next season compared with a lot of weed growth. I have two large patches on my plots under green manure that I plan to use next year for sweet corn and my brassicas. Field beans are pretty good if you have heavy soil.

PS Don't forget November and December are key months for planting fruit trees and bushes especially if bare rooted. Similarly for rhubarb, if new or just moving it.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 23:09:46 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 05:50:48 »
Poundland have cloches but unfortunately they come without ends, so I put plastic bottles full of waters partly into the soil so they so they do not fall over.  The water keeps the crops even warmer.  I sow spinach. 

Also plastic bottles with the bottom cut off.  You might get some lettuce all winter.  And peas which survive the winter are ready in may.

I find Wizard are the only broadies to go through the winter, so I would wait until Feb for the main broadbeans,

With Bali volcano looking threatening we could get a very cold winter.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 05:54:08 »
Definitely garlic and shallots, fitzsie.  But where you are, it is worth trying broad beans and peas.  Also you could still buy a punnet of living salads, separate them and plant.  With a little protection you will be harvesting leaf lettuce until Christmas at least.   :wave:

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 08:34:20 »
Thanks so much everyone ! I've missed using this site as I just haven't had the time this year and on top of that after a 5 year wait I was given an allotment !
Reading these posts I think I shall look for onions & garlic this weekend and the rest of the plot green manure. Keep things simple for now
Bring back Spotty Dog........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal