Author Topic: sweetcorn  (Read 2771 times)

ACE

• Hectare
sweetcorn
« on: September 23, 2017, 19:03:09 »
We went and entertained at the sweetcorn fair today, they grow acres and acres of the stuff down here, they even call one place the valley of the green giant. I had to eat some, well it would have been rude not to. The cobs were freshly pulled from the stalks and cooked but they didn't come anyway near the tasty ones I grew myself. The stuff at the fair was a  commercial crop grown for shape, size and uniformity, but not for taste, alright mine were bald at the top on some and all shapes and sizes but even frozen they still taste good.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:06 »
Which varieties do you grow then Ace?   I sowed some locally bought seeds and finally have some edible cobs but find them a bit chewy and starchy rather than juicy.   May be the long drought or may be the variety.   Not impressed despite having the water boiling when I went out to pick them.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 13:32:39 »
Which varieties do you grow then Ace?   I sowed some locally bought seeds and finally have some edible cobs but find them a bit chewy and starchy rather than juicy.   May be the long drought or may be the variety.   Not impressed despite having the water boiling when I went out to pick them.
they maybe overipe  they dont last long on the plant only a day or two at perfection  then they spiral downward in texture and flavour hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 13:51:33 »
I've been doing the tassel check and regular thumbnail tests and haven't had the clear juice, just milky.  I'm not sure the French realise that sweetcorn is delicious for people and not just the stuff you grow to feed to cows over winter.  I'll try ordering some form the UK for next year.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 14:12:14 »
I do not know the variety, like I said it is grown all over the place here and it would be a very poor year that I did not pick up a handful of spilt seed along the lanes around the sweetcorn fields.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 14:24:48 »
You just sow what you find then?  Not a specific sweet one for domestic use?
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 16:49:36 »
You just sow what you find then?  Not a specific sweet one for domestic use?
  It is commercially grown for the supermarkets, but as it is treated, sprayed, debugged etc. the uniform stuff from the farm is tasteless. Mine is bunged in little pots, planted when big enough and apart from a handful of chicken pellets left to it's own devices and a lot better tasting. I have just had some for tea, Lovely. I don't do the tassel hassle, just pick it when it looks big enough, dip it in boiling water, cut the kernels from the cob with the breadknife and the cores gets chucked to the dogs who love them. With my beard, eating straight from the cob would get me in too much of a litter and a telling off from the Yeti in Pink Knickers.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 17:35:33 »
Yes.  OH's beard is definitely less fluffy and long.
Obxx - Vendée France

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 16:14:16 »
I grew Sundance. They were ready in July and very yummy.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 20:01:37 »
Thanks Annie.  I'll keep an eye out when I'm ordering seeds for next year's crops.
Obxx - Vendée France

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 07:03:25 »
the cores gets chucked to the dogs who love them

Corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction so you might want to rethink that. Dogs might love them but none of you will enjoy it very much if an emergency operation is needed.

Signs of obstruction are:
Vomiting
Dry heaves
Diarrhea (or straining)
Lack of appetite
Painful abdomen
Lethargy

It can be fatal.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal