Author Topic: Selling up.  (Read 7744 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Selling up.
« on: September 22, 2017, 13:17:31 »
Well, the deed is done, the house is on the market. Photographer been round this morning and taken lots of images for the brochure. So if anyone wants a small semi-detached cottage with an internationally famous garden, they can have it.
Don't want to move, but my wife has been warned that she is at serious risk of heart problems and neither of us are fit enough these days to keep the garden to the standard we think it ought to be, so we are going to have to leave. Bungalow with a smaller garden hear we come.
Gardening is the great leveller.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Selling up.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 16:01:56 »
sorry to hear that however best of luck in your quest and im sure your new garden will after you have worked your magic  be fantastic
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:10:35 »
If you could just move your house and garden to some Our house is also on the market where around Berwick on Tweed, we're looking to move up there.  :happy7: Our house is also on the market after 31 years- it's an emotional roller coaster, in't it! Are you moving locally?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 11:43:23 »
That is going to be a wrench!  I take it you have already started taking cuttings, divisions and seeds of plants with special significance.

We brought a trailer load here but, whilst touring private gardens of new gardening friends in the Vendée gardening club, I can't help wishing I'd brought more.

Still, best to move whilst you have the energy to make a new garden as you want it t be and in a form you can manage without feeling it's all too much now.  I wish you all the best for a successful sale and a satisfying new home and garden.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 13:24:02 »
Thinking of you, that must be such a hard thing to do but take your best bits with you, so to speak, like others have said take cuttings, pot up plants etc.  At least alpines would still fit into a smaller garden ;) and you could have your tulip border on a smaller scale....  I hope all goes ok and you find a nice new home.  A new garden can be exciting on a smaller scale :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 13:40:21 »
We are staying local, though not too near so no temptation to come back and look. We have not even looked for properties as we don't think this place will sell as quickly as the state Agent seems to think.
Would take very little with us, buy new. (Except for M.i.L's rhubarb which she grew from seed many many years ago.).

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 15:02:17 »
Would like to add my best wishes to you both. I am sure it is a big decision but you know when it is the best time to make the move. Wishing you happiness in your new home. My snowdrops are still a reminder every year of your kindness to me.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 20:17:05 »
I hope you find a buyer for your house soon, Palustris and that you find a suitable home for yourselves.  Maybe something with a small garden but with lovely views would compensate for having to give up your beautiful garden. 

I am sure this will come to John and I as well in the not too distant future.  We have 1½ acres and each year it becomes more of a struggle to maintain.  I know what you must feel having to give it up, especially as you have put so much work into your garden and it has been your pride and joy. 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 21:27:09 »
Well the For Sale sign is up. Not had the brochure yet though.
We really need to move while we are still fit enough to do it. Shame , but my back is so bad now that half an hour at a time is all I can manage before the pain gets too much. The garden needs more time in it than we are fit enough to give it.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 22:29:30 »
OH wants to move, so will have to give my allotment and my lovely Bramley apple tree, hopefully someone will love it.  We have such lovely neighbours, known them for over 40 years, seen the children grow up.  Just need to get away from London, to a 2 bedroom bungalow by the sea and a garden without all the traffic up the alley and the pollution, which is not helping his breathing/moaning problem.  Trouble is I love this house, and it is very hard to move. Charity shop should be happy with all the stuff we have collected over the years. We will have to take beloved Dulcie (cat) with us but he hates change.  We haven't put the house up for sale yet, as I do not want a lot of people looking at MY HOUSE.  So maybe I do not want to move.   :BangHead: :BangHead:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 10:08:32 »
I know what you mean. We've had three viewings so far and I find myself hoping they don't like it. At the same time I know we're ready for a change. I'm hoping it'll feel different if/when we find a house we like.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 10:21:17 »
We did this last year.   Decided to sell and get a simpler house while we had the energy to make it as we wanted and needed.   Did a bit of clearing and a bit of decorating and then put it on the market but shell-shocked when it sold in 10 days.  In Belgium there's a set schedule for sales to complete  once agreed so we then had just 4 month to sort what we were keeping, what we needed to dump and take cuttings and divisions of treasures with special meaning.

Here we are now with a simpler house - once all the mods and decorating are done - and a bigger but simpler garden to create and maintain according to our needs which include a potager suited to this gentler climate.   

It does involve a lot of work initially but it has been a liberating experience to shake off the perceived weight of the old house and garden.

The trick is to embrace the change and make it a positive experience and that means shedding lots of attachments which weigh you down more than you think.

Good luck.
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 12:11:30 »
Bill and Ben amd Jemma are not going to be happy moving from a huge hunting territory to a smaller more urban one, but needs must.
Biggest problem for me is the sheer volume of rare plants which we have accumulated over the years. Some of them are probably unique, but we cannot take that many with us.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 13:20:20 »
Maybe organise a plant sale to people you know will appreciate and care for the specials?   The cats will adapt, eventually, but better get them chipped, just in case.
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 15:49:32 »
Enjoy the adventure i am sure you will find this is the best decision for your health and its hard to leave but harder if you stayed and seen the jobs you could no longer do pile up.

Hugs

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 16:47:04 »
This is what you would get for your money.
https://imgur.com/a/USUrQ

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 16:52:04 »
This is what you would get for your money.
https://imgur.com/a/USUrQ

Now that is a truly fantastic garden.  Well done- you have worked hard and I envy the one who has the privilege to follow in your footsteps...

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 13:28:00 »
Palustris what a lovely garden you have there! I am sure someone will snap up such a tidy house.  Next year I am planning to move into my partner's house, from a flat so I will be gaining an enormous garden, good news for me! But as his house already has HIS stuff in it, I am starting to wonder how we will fit it all in, and I know we are going to have to do a big cleanout and I will have to get rid of loads of stuff (in actual fact, crap!). Still I agree with Obelixx, have to embrace the change! And we still have to move my allotments plants out to the house (dreading that because it will be a total mess!!!).  Good luck with the move.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 14:10:11 »
It's quite a process sorting thru what must go with you, what can go with you and what you can, either happily or regretfully, leave behind.  I spent ages measuring our furniture to see what would fit wherein the new home and what needed giving away or binning.   At least you will have time to discuss that with your new partner Antipodes so he can make space for your treasures both in the house and in the garden.

Palustris, I wish you well with your house and garden hunting and the start of a new phase in your lives surrounded by what is most precious and/or useful and with space for new adventures, treasures and memories to be made.  It will be a wrench but I hope it will also be exciting for the right reasons.
Obxx - Vendée France

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 16:05:43 »
Eric, having had the honour of receiving a personal guided tour around your garden, I am sorry I read that you  are planning to leave it, but I can completely understand why. Blimey, I'm tempted to come around with my spade and whip away a few 'spares'. Mark and I wish you lots of luck with your move x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal