Author Topic: WHAT CROPS FAILED FOR YOU THIS YEAR?  (Read 5685 times)

picman

• Acre
Re: WHAT CROPS FAILED FOR YOU THIS YEAR?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 12:08:06 »
Cannot seem to grow Celery , looks good , tastes like lemons ... slugs like it !

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 17:38:22 »
Cannot seem to grow Celery , looks good , tastes like lemons ... slugs like it !
Would that be "bitter", "fruity", or "zest-full" ? Which variety did you grow? Celery, like caulis ,sort the men from the boys....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 19:23:00 »
ancell......Bitter ...  Variety .... Not sure it was a pack from nursery , was to late sowing seed.... It cooks ok just not salad.  Guess I'm a lad again...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 19:24:36 by picman »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 17:29:50 »
I have had a pretty good year and the successes have outweighed the failures.
Celery went really well for the first time although I did grow a lot of Red Celery for soup and stock so not overly bothered if it is stringy.
Onions were a bit poor and didn't seem to do well in the early heat.
Swedes dont do well on our clay but I thought I had lightened the soil enough - maybe they will bulk up.
Celeriac seems all top and no trousers.
Lettuce had issues with the heat but came good late in the season - luckily the generous spirit of my allotment mates saw me through.
Carrots look to be a bit damaged - mostly slugs but I think they are decent enough to see us through.
Beetroot didn't do as well as I wanted but still had enough.

Some stuff has been brilliant - squash have romped away, courgettes - so many even the chickens are turning their beaks up at them now, Toms - mental amounts and still picking, Spuds - never had so many, beans have been fab, sweetcorn - great (but very early), Fennel - came good just when I though they were going to bolt and there have been lots of other joyful moments - enough to counter the  failures..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 05:58:59 »
Tomatoes.  Only had a few fruit.  One of my neighbours gets Bordeaux mix from Poland.  So hers survived.   They went only a few days before the weather changed,

Strawberries!!  Someone dug up all my plants last year and the new ones disappeared as well but I think that was deer.

One row of spinach has been slugged.

Actually have had a bumper year of most things. 

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 21:40:22 »
Sorry Tee Gee but I also had a fantastic sweet corn crop but I harvested the remainder of them yesterday because my allotment neighbour says his have been attacked by rats!

Did he mean that his kids had devoured them?!

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 14:30:19 »
Most of my flops this year were due to slugs, the potatoes were badly nibbled .Practically all the Maris Pipers were damaged and even the Kestrel were nibbled ,and they are supposed to have some resistance to slugs!
My runner beans never even got off the ground. I usually sow direct in the soil but these were eaten off as soon as they germinated, I replaced them with  plants with loads of slug control around them yet within a couple of nights they were gone.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 14:47:53 »
To overcome the problems that many of us have had this year, I have decided  that all I want for Christmas is December, January and February to be very cold and frosty with some snow.

Then this will hopefully kill off the pests that over the last winters couple of winters have managed to survive and breed in greater numbers since the onset of " Weather Change"

Having said that!  As an insurance I plan on putting a "Tub of Slug Pellets" on my Christmas List again!  :BangHead:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 22:29:39 »
It certainly has been a strange year weather wise. Even some of my roses have decided to flower this week.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 13:17:16 »
Fails : courgettes for some reason, lots of leaves but little fruit, runnerbeans (they are flowering now! pffff), peas (got too hot too quickly), potatoes (healthy but very small, because of lack of rain), as usual root crops mostly rubbish, carrots the size of my little finger and beetroots just producing leaves and little root.
Successes: Tomatoes (masses and masses of them!) pumpkins, green beans, anything leafy like lettuce, rocket, mizuna, chard, and the pak choy are going great guns! It's been very odd weather though, boiling in june and july and then pretty on-off in August (hot then cool), then September very damp and cool. 
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal