Author Topic: Product design student (Improving a spade)  (Read 3676 times)

ProductDesignStudent

Product design student (Improving a spade)
« on: September 20, 2017, 00:06:22 »
Hello!

I'm a product design student and I am currently working on a project to improve a spade for allotment users. I have a few questions to ask:

- What qualities are important when choosing a spade?
(Weight, Length, Material, Durability, Handle, Environmental Viewpoint, ....)

- How does it feel in your hands, joints and back after a day at the cultivation pot?

- What is important in a spade from a storage perspective?
(Easy to carry, easy to hang up, flexible, can be folded?)

- How do you think a spade that is adjustable in length and where you can switch to different spade heads would work for you and on the market?

- Is there something missing in spades out there on the market, or anything that can be improved?

- How would you design and manufacture a spade if you had the opportunity?

Any feedback you can offer me will be very useful.

Thank you for your time!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Product design student (Improving a spade)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 00:43:07 »
Hiya ... I'm a sucker for a gadget and the latest thing ... until I actually use it on a regular basis when I normally find that the old tried and tested designs made from solid materials work better in the long run!  Spades are a thing which have been designed by necessity and over a long period of time and I think trying to find an improvement, while a laudable aim, may be tricky!

What qualities are important? - durability and ease of use for sure ... strength is a problem with many modern spades and I have snapped a lot.  Sharpness of blade is critical - something that can only traditionally be achieved by sharpening yourself regularly.

Changing spade length/heads - again potentially this may be a nice thing - but all mechanisms which can change heads/lengths would not be as strong as a spade designed for the job made of wood and metal.

What is missing in the market:  Probably a top end spade that is carried by garden centres and comes with a proper long guarantee.  Made from the very best materials to the highest standard and costing aroung £60-£80 ... market forces have made most spades too cheap to last long enough to be economic!

What is important from a storage perspective? - nothing compared to how well it performs as a spade! I would think any folding/telescopic function would weaken its function as a digging tool.  A way to hang it up is all that's needed

What do they feel like? - I have never encountered a spade which is more difficult than another to use.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 06:36:06 »
A spade has multiple uses, hammering in a stake, cutting a sharp edge to a border, frying your breakfast, chopping up roots and killing rodents and pretty handy as a weapon, sometimes you can even use it to turn the ground over, they come in small stupid sizes for people who only think they are gardeners, but the shape, size and ergonomics of a normal spade are perfect for all the above  jobs.  So if it ain't broke, why fix it?  No need to build a better mousetrap, better to work on a system  that can use it for you. Even this will be hard as there are already paid gardeners or spouses doing that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:54:12 by ACE »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:10:19 »
The best improvement on a spade has already been made.  It's called a fork.  Works  a treat on heavy soils where spades fail.  Bought a spade once, but apart from edging, it doesn't do anything for me.  My workhorse is my fork.   :wave:

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:18:52 »
A adjustable spade with multi heads might work for the casual home gardener but for an allotment holder not likely.

The old adage of using the proper tool for the job springs to mind. Much like using an adjustable spanner instead of a spanner of the correct size for the job is okay for the one off job but not for a mechanic.

About the only thing that has not been perfected is a non stick coating that does not wear away in a  life time of use.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:01 »
Solid forged 1 piece in Titanium with treads might be worth testing.Have seen ovaloid shaped instead of "D" handles on US websites, but never tried or seen in UK. Dont use a spade often, its No dig around here!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:32:31 »
How about an 'air' spade so we can practise at home when nobody is looking.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:45:49 »
How about an 'air' spade so we can practise at home when nobody is looking.

Haha love it!  Or maybe you could invent a virtual spade controller for the Nintendo Wii so we can all play that incredible new game 'Allotment Hero'

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 14:48:40 »
I think the others have covered most of what I would say.

But if that is not enough have a look here to see my thoughts on the matter:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Tools-Garden%20Spade/Tools%20-%20Garden%20Spade.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal