Author Topic: A full bucket  (Read 2275 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
A full bucket
« on: September 19, 2017, 14:25:03 »
Good crop today.
The sunshine has got the raspberries excited.  Grapes are turning sweet though they are rather small this year  I think I left too many bunches.  Like the year before last some have pips. I think I will leave the fleece on longer.
The ironman broccoli has produced another set of small heads, I think that is about 5 sets now.  Very pleased with it.  After the second crop I fed it and it took off.  I will try and have lots more plants next year.   
Carrots, sweetcorn, courgettes, beans.   
And I picked some Bridgwater beans, to eat podded like broad beans, lovely.   I do not know why we import frozen soy beans.  I found a batch called ODriscoll, and another unmarked batch with similar seeds.  So I did not know whether they were Bridgwater or not, knew I only had had two varieties with similar seeds.  It became quite obvious that they were different, they had different colour flowers and one set reached the top of the poles quicker.   

ACE

• Hectare
Re: A full bucket
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:14:42 »
For a minute there I thought your allotment loo was at capacity :toothy10:  But what a great year for produce, Late frosts, long dry spells, and extreme heat did not seem to bother my plants. I watered a bit more than I would normally do when the plants went in. I usually puddle in, water twice and leave them to find their own water. But beans, beans and beans did will, Potatoes extremely well, Strawberrys and soft fruit  were not shy either. Dug my first parsnip yesterday, left half in the ground as it snapped coming out but still enough for a couple of meals. It looks as if there will be plenty of greens to see us through the lean times although the freezer is chocka. £80 for two allotments is money well spent, they have certainly earned their keep this year. One failure, swedes, but I don't like them anyway and never tended them as well as I should, they were there to fill up a space and there was a packet of seed in the tin.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:17:14 by ACE »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 15:17:03 »
here on the sunshine coast its been a great year for peppers and chilis
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 23:04:37 »
But what a great year for produce.

I couldn't agree more. Above average yields for almost everything I've grown. A few minor negatives, as my tomatoes got hit by blight in late August, and my Swedes are looking only average. But everything else superb and I grow a very wide variety of items. Best season for many a year.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 13:11:17 »
outdoor tomatoes  giving their last huzzar this week next week i think i will clear them all still no blight yet  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 17:21:54 »
Still doing well.  Today, courgettes, carrots, broccoli, chillis, potatos and quite a few raspberries though without sun their taste is not the best.  Gradually bringing in the squashes. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:30:44 »
Oh wow Digeroo.  That's still going very well.  :sunny:

Here the courgette plants have turned to mush and we had the last courgettes.  I still have a huge Shark's Fin Melon aka Fig Leaf Pumpkin to harvest and several late bean varieties.  Some of the beans are very late this year and seed saving on the plants is not really possible any more.  So I have drying pods on the windowsills with fat seeds inside.  This has been quite successful, but Kentucky Wonder had several sprouted seeds inside the pods.  I got enough seeds for next time, but only just.

My pride and joy are this year's huge Giant Bolivian achocha.  Such a struggle last year and this year they are doing well.  We are eating them like courgettes at the moment.  In the greenhouse the last tomatoes.  There are still brassica of several types, like rocket, cress, perennial broccoli and kales, oriental cooking greens. 

I dug the last potatoes, some pound plus Sarpo Miras and slightly smaller Blue Danubes.   We had a surprise this year - for some reason the black outdoor grape that never produces anything much but a few sour grapes (they sent the wrong variety I think), has large bunches of sweet grapes.  Such a bonus.  Apples and pears are being harvested too.  The squashes are in and in the conservatory storing for winter.   Chard of course, but that has almost naturalised here in the garden.

It is wonderful that so far the slight frost has only affected the courgette leaves and a bit of damage on some of the beans, long may it last.   :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal