Author Topic: Disappearing sweetcorn  (Read 2599 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
Disappearing sweetcorn
« on: September 17, 2017, 17:52:52 »
Went to the allotment to day to pick the rest of the sweetcorn  Some thing had stripped the leaves of each cob and ate the grains leaving the cone still on the plant     Would it have been mice ,rats or  birds ? Any thoughts please there is loads of mice about   I befriended the neighbouring house pet kitten to day hoping it will help keep the  mouse population down

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Disappearing sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 18:58:50 »
Well in my case and all the others on our site it is Badgers.

The decimated every corn bed on the site last week end.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 21:21:10 »
I don't  think this were Badgers as not a stalk out of place   just the corn kernel's gone and core left on the stalk and the leaves shredded on the ground

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 22:52:25 »
Crows perhaps? The ones on our site will peck newly planted sweet corn to the ground unless netted.

Like Tee Gees site it is badgers that munch the sweet corn about a week before you want to pick them. My corn is planted in a badger proof enclosure made from pallets and chicken wire. It is the only way to get a crop. A net over the top keeps the birds off.

These are the lengths we have to go to in order to grow our own sweet corn. :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:05:51 »
Magpies? Squirrels? Rats?  Suggest putting plastic bottles with bottom cut off over eat cob. Stops the fliers but the rats can cope with it.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:14:21 »
On my plot if the corn is all eaten on an undisturbed plot it's mice and voles ... rats can decimate a crop too but they're usually more messy.  Rabbits will strip the corn if it is low enough too.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 17:33:06 »
Does sound like rats have found your crop of corn, I'm reading reports of similar all,over the uk.
I've actually seen rats up corn stripping the kernels. They were very fast and efficient at it.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 20:50:07 »
 OH yuk I've seen a rat at the plot I had hoped it was just passing though

hartshay

• Not So New ...
  • Growing slowly
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:26 »
Rats took  one night to strip all remains cobs on my plot... note to myself get pumpkins in they are usually next

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal