Author Topic: Something eating Squash...  (Read 1337 times)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Something eating Squash...
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:58:43 »
But only one variety!!!
Hi

This occurred last night.  Is this slug damage? As it's (fairly deep) surface damage it doesn't look quite chewed as mice or rats would do???   

I've brought the affected two squash in, they only seem to be going for the red Kuri and Baby Boo!!  This is a 3.4kg one and the other is a 2.3kg. All other squashes are so far uneaten. All are raised on sandstone stones.

I've cleaned it up and will bake it this afternoon. The other one isn't as badly damaged, so hopefully it'll keep a week or two in the porch. The others outside are unaffected but I'll keep an eye on them.

Thanks

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Something eating Squash...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 13:51:16 »
I think it's slug damage.Rats would take huge chunks out and I still think it's still a bit warm for rats to be out looking for food! I had the same on a couple of courgettes.

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 16:35:48 »
id say slugs
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 16:37:30 »
Thanks both.  I'll need to keep a close eye on the remainder. The one above is in the oven as I type :)  Annoying as I don't normally have a slug problem... :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 17:50:29 »
I am not convinced about the slugs.  They leave very smooth holes.  And seems a lot in one night suddenly.  I think the thing has teeth.  Looks like teeth marks to me.   I am thinking rat  I think I would try some wire netting. they chew through plastic.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal