Author Topic: First Frost Dates  (Read 3594 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: First Frost Dates
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 17:58:05 »
I am starting to bring my squashes in.  I had a large tromba but managed to break it off while I was cutting the stem. Found another huge one, it weighs in at 6.5 kg.  Quite a carry to the car.  I have a dark green one as well.
Found a large pumpkin I did not know I had.  Found a quite small crown prince and was rather disappointed until I found it had a big sister.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 18:01:11 »
I picked the last of mine this morning as it was down to 5C last night, and forecast is for lower tonight .. I always believe in 'better safe than sorry'. They had already turned colour so I don't think there was anything to gain from leaving them out in the cold.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 19:09:48 »
I brought my pumpkins and butternut squashes into my greenhouse last Sun as its been quite cold here in leicestershire....in fact last night inside my greenhouses both registered 7.2C even though i had shut the doors and windows - where is the indian summer they promised us?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 19:16:40 »
Gosh, I should think myself lucky in our bit of NE Yorks. It was a min of 9.4 outside last night. I'm going to keep mine out, as they're still increasing in size, and keep an eye on the forecasts and what our weather station is telling us. I keep meaning to investigate ifttt that Digeroo mentioned. I'll see if we can set it up to our weather station website actual temps...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal