Author Topic: Plant suggestions please for a station garden  (Read 1770 times)

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
Plant suggestions please for a station garden
« on: September 09, 2017, 21:07:29 »
I am part of a team of gardeners who work voluntarily on a garden in our local railway station. It is quite a big garden and already has a large lawn and banks of flowers. As well as this, another section grows edibles with a mature pear tree and several gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes which produce well. The whole garden is sloping and is probably based on track ballast which over the years has a good top soil. It is not generally accessible to the public.

I have cleared out some space due to pampas grass and dog roses and would prefer to plant some more edibles. These should be perennials as they will be permanent and mixed in with other flower bushes and trees.

My thoughts are: Globe artichokes and some damson or pear trees which are available wild locally.

Any suggestions ?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Plant suggestions please for a station garden
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 22:01:14 »
Jerusalem artichokes tall plants flowers like sunflowers edible great wind break perennial  good back of the border plant
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 09:35:27 »
I have a huge globe artichoke which is spreading.  The flowers are very pretty and the bees love them.  Never managed to get much to eat.
Lidl Aldi and Tesco normally have cheap fruit trees early in the new year.  Seem to be good.
What about more blackcurrants they root very easily?   

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:51:42 »
Might be a chance to grow those fruits that are sought but not worth garden space. Crabapple, quince,medlars, figs, apricots if climatically suitable .Horseradish, wild garlic, anything insect friendly. Would like to see photos if possible. Keep up the good work, the old railway porters (who remembers those?) were renown as having good gardens, with plenty of 'free time' between trains.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 15:39:58 »
Thank you - lots of good ideas

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 22:23:41 »
Asparagus.. if it is free draining as you imply.. with the ballast under the soil.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal