Author Topic: Spinach  (Read 3902 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Spinach
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:02:04 »
Has anyone tried sowing spinach in pots and transplanting rather than sowing direct? When I sowed direct last year my results weren't too clever. Spinach is one of the few things we all love in my house but I always have trouble with it ???

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Spinach
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:23:56 »
Spinach can be a sod-like coriander >:(-I am not sure planting in a pot would help but give it a go and see.

I find I get the best results from very early or late sowing,my veg patch has fairly light soil and gets a lot of sun,sowings in the `main` period bolt very easily.

Stephan

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 12:43:58 »
I start mine off in individual cells and plant them out when they are, what I consider, able to fight off the slugs! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 12:50:21 »
My first lot last year all bolted, then so did the direct sown.  Ended up with perpetual which I have only just dug as I need the room for spuds!  Not to everyones taste, but suited me just fine.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 13:53:13 »
Hi, I first tried planting spinach seeds in 2003  but it flowered straight away and went straight to seed once the green shoots came up.  Was told this was probably because we had had a very dry summer and they like to be watered a lot. So last year,  like EJ I planted perpetual spinach, which is much more tolerant and that has been great.  In fact have just come from the lottie with a big bundle of it, to cook for tonights meal, so it is still going strong and looking very healthy, and what's more is very tasty.   :) busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 14:00:23 »
And here it is:   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 14:07:12 »
Yum.  That looks tasty.

I can't get my spinach to do a d**n thing.  However I grow it, germination is erratic.  Could be the packet of seed I guess, although they were quite expensive, not my usual Poundstretcher bargain.  ;)

I have sown a row direct, we'll see what happens.  I'm very stubborn but if nothing happens this time, I might get some of the perpetual sort if that is much easier.  As much as I'm stubborn, I don't like wasting time, either!
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 14:17:36 »
EJ/BL - does perpetual mean periennial?

I just adore spinach!
gone to pot :D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 14:56:39 »
I've started a few spinach plants in a seedtray and now potted into small pots, so far they seem happy. Will let you know how they go, I'll be planting them out over the weekend. But some more seed will be sown direct as well just incase they bolt or die or something terrible like that!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 14:58:03 »
perpetual spinach for me usually lasts for about nine months before bolting but I get plenty of harvests (1 or 2 a week). I planted these from modular cells last year and are just starting to bolt now.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 16:24:23 »
Dictionary definition or perpetual - continuing or lasting for a long time.

Definition for perrenial - lasting an indefinately long time.

So, in a way, I would assume, they are almost one of the same!

You can be pretty harsh cutting it back as it resprouts around the stem, or you can just remove a bunch of leaves from the plant.  The young leaves make a tasty addition to salads.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 17:24:50 »
Perpetual spinach, I tried it once and on the pack it was also called New Zealand spinach, is this what you mean with perpetial spinach? It didn't grow like spinach at all, actually it's not spinach, it creeps along the ground.

I had no luck with spinach at all, didn't like the perpetual spinach so I'll stick with swiss chard, good stuff.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 17:44:00 »
Thanks for the tips, I sowed 1 full row today & will try some in peat pots to see which wins, knowing my luck it'll be nil-nil.
The guys on the plot next to me grow the perpetual stuff, they let me try it but it just doesn't taste as "green" to me, Swiss chard is fine but I can't convince the rest of the family that they like it so I'll just keep persevering, it's probably one of those things that respond to neglect, I always molly-coddle it, maybe I should leave it be. By the way I can grow coriander no probs, chucked some seed in last year and I was freezing enough for an army.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 18:43:09 »
hmmm, dunno Ina.  Mine didn't creep, just formed a glorious huge lime green rosette and a thick tap root!  Cut the lot the other day as I needed the row for a row of spuds, and had some for dindins tonite.  How did you have your BL?  Mine was shredded, blanched for just a minute or so whilst I sizzled some lardons.  Squeezed the spinach then sprinkled it in the pan with the bacon, added some sliced mushroom and a couple of finely chopped cloves of garlic.  Fried for about 3 minutes then served.  Delish!  The kids didn't think so, so all the more for me!  :P

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 22:18:45 »
Mmm, sounds similar to the way I do cos lettuce with lardons

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 22:54:56 »
I love spinach and I think it is not so difficult to grow if you have a few things right:
the soil must have plenty of organic matter, otherwise it taste bitter
plant spinach between two rows of taller vegetables, so it get shade and does not run to seed
weed all the time and
give lots and lots of water and pick all the time the outer leaves.  :P :P

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 23:01:30 »
plant spinach between two rows of taller vegetables, so it get shade and does not run to seed

Fantastic idea :D, why didn't I think of that, thanks

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 23:45:18 »
that is a very clever idea indeedy!  I have a shady spot at the start of my plot by the shed.....maybe I will try a row there.  Plus, that is where my waterbut is so no excuse for not watering!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 08:30:48 »
MT - how do you do your 'spinach' that is different ,in the family's eyes, to chard?

I'm a chard fan - all year, no problems, pick it little for salads or large for cooking. More weight per plant than spinach & no bolting. Lovely stems. Pretty!

Contrary to some teachings, I find that I can transplant thinnings successfully.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 12:45:30 »
I really don't understand why but they just don't like it, personally I'm a big fan of chard and it's so easy to grow

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal